Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 AM

I made a practice block yesterday, took better than 5 hours (alabama) getting my paper piecing skills refreshed.
I choose 10" size accidently (learning curve with the software) by the time I realized it I had 150 sheets of paper already printed so 10" it is. I wanted to do 8".

I learned I don't want mixed neutrals for center points
I like the little dash of pink with my stash greens
I'm not convinced the paper is going to come off as easy as Doak shows in the CD, even though I'm using a 90 needle and a 1.5 stitch.

And since it took so long I've put a little tablet by the sewing machine and I'm going to keep track of the total time.
If anyone asks what I'm doing with my time while caring for my mother I can show them the tablet of paper sewing time and remark "I've come a long way, I started out in home ec sewing lines and circles on paper!"
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Congrats, Kalama on getting Alabama done. It usually takes me about 5 hours per block--pretty intimidating when you know there are 50 of them to do! Some of them are much easier and take a little less time. Removing the paper is NOT as easy as she shows. I usually do that in the evenings when MrJanRn is asleep in the recliner, I mean he's watching tv (he says). I end up with little bits of paper all over the place.

What takes me the longest with these blocks is choosing colors. I'm doing scrappy, batik, no constant in any block. The colors look fine when I have them on my cutting table but when I sew them together sometimes they just don't work. This is why I don't pre-cut my fabric pieces (I hack and wack as I need a piece of fabric). Seems like I re-do the first section at least once before I settle on the right contrast. I have about 15 done (started last year) and if I could start over I'd use a constant for the background and do them 8" instead of 12". This quilt (if I ever finish it) is going to be huge; will probably end up as 2 smaller quilts.

I'm anxious to see what everyone comes up with color wise. Color is the most challenging part for me.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 AM

If the colors challenge go to a home improvement store and look at the little brochures at the bottom of each brand of paint. So many beautiful combinations of 3 or 4 colors! And within those 3 or 4 colors you have a wide range of dark to lights in your stash.

Be not afraid
Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Glad to join this thread. I started the last time, so have some beginning blocks done. Yes, they do take a long time to make!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM

I'm going to give this a try also. I've got the book but still need to decide what fabrics/colors to use. I followed the 2013 thread and it looked like so much fun. The blocks made were amazing.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 AM

got the book ages ago, when another group started, but was sidetracked by other big projects and never did start. think I will work along with you all this time. thxs
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Sigh....I guess I was a naughty girl last year as I did not get the book for Christmas. So I will order it the first of Jan and have to wait until it arrives to start. May be a bit behind but will do my best to catch up when I return from Australia.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Got the book from Santa, I am waiting for my DH and DS to go camping with the Scouts (in 30 minutes) to get started. Yeah
Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
Sigh....I guess I was a naughty girl last year as I did not get the book for Christmas. So I will order it the first of Jan and have to wait until it arrives to start. May be a bit behind but will do my best to catch up when I return from Australia.
If you have the software download you don't actually need the book, just paper to print the designs out on
With just the book it is a bit complicated to work out how to resize the blocks from 12" if that is wanted.
But having the book's made blocks in color is helpful for thinking about where our own fabric choices will be used.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:10 PM

I was with the group in 2011. I also made a quilt with 64 blocks of the oklahoma block as my first quilt. The first block I ever made took over 8 hours. By the time I finished I was making about 1 block an hour. My avatar is my quilt from the group. It is probably my favorite quilt I have made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00811.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	453483