Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 AM

I will be lagging behind with my center regardless. I plan on making the borders before I finish the applique, that way I can at least show something as we progress. I vote for starting the first round in January.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm doing a panel, so Feb 1st for the round would be a long wait. But, I'm flexible too, I can wait if there are enough that need January to do a center
Old 12-29-2013, 10:26 AM

I had an "eureka moment" this morning. Somewhere stuffed away are the first quilt blocks I made in a beginning quilters class, abt 1980 or so. I am going to search for them today and see if one or some of them would make a center. Now off to my mission!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM

I have had a couple questions about my block. I drafted it in 1999 at a retreat. I finally found my not very professional draft and am posting it here because I can't find a way to put it in a PM, I hope that's okay. We used coloured pencils for the different angles etc. & erased some to make the blocks less complex. [ATTACH=CONFIG]453761[/ATTACH] I have my block turned a little compared to this drawing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scans - drafted star (Small).jpg
Views:	334
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	453761  
Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Thimblebug, did you do it as a paperpieced block? Is the circle appliqued? A very intriguing block!

Mom-6, I don't know how you're thinking of doing the logo, maybe you have one already printed out. Applique? Anyway, I was thinking that if you wanted to repeat the logo further into the quilt, I'll bet you could use it as some corner blocks. Don't know for sure because I don't know what's ahead . Just an idea if that made any sense.

Last edited by whitepine; 12-29-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I have had a couple questions about my block. I drafted it in 1999 at a retreat. I finally found my not very professional draft and am posting it here because I can't find a way to put it in a PM, I hope that's okay. We used coloured pencils for the different angles etc. & erased some to make the blocks less complex. [ATTACH=CONFIG]453761[/ATTACH] I have my block turned a little compared to this drawing.
That is a cool block, I've always loved the compass types, but I admit I really suck at doing them
Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM

This sounds like fun but I am am somewhat confused about the medallion part. Are we to buy a premade panell or are we making the center medallion?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Paper pieced? oh groan! love love those blocks so much but heck no with sewing with paper and getting it right without taking a class. I just cant get it, even had a video carol someone and it still frustrated me. Guess I am a hands on learner. like your hands on it, me standing so close your ready to choke me that kind of hands on learning.. then you get to do it 12 times before I get it half down. then I forget tomorrow and well the game begins again hence why the Brat here does not do paper piecing. I like my friends.

sounds like we definitely should post two centers (think there are three actually I recommend for easy) and Jaba has a more complicated one to share so that should help everyone who is just stuck. Also if you cant make the first round you can do a .. simple round like a strip with corner squares. quick easy simple and if your center is very busy you might just want to consider this. it .. slows a quilt down a bit.

ok show those pics of the centers you have hidden and just now found. Also .. posting on cant find your original fabric the center quilt will probably be ugly. Not true not true at all. Just use one or two focal colors in that center repetitively throughout the quilt and you will tie it all in nicely. I think if you follow a theme you could be just fine and not have to live through an ugly quilt. all this work we want to make sure we do what we can to make it as nice as possible.

By posting your centers, then maybe posting hey guys what do you think of these combos for this round.. do say two or three of the blocks put them up against your previous row and you will be surprised at what might work or not and hey don't do 24 blocks you end up hating. fix it in the beginning and everyone here is so good at helping with color selections and advise. I made a round on Jabas quilt recently in the road runners round robin. I bought the fabric knew it was going to work. It was apparent that the fabric was not the right shade once I made three blocks. I then made a block out of another sub color. way too vibrant. picked out my third color? worked like a charm. I had sent her pics of hey what about A or B.. phew she got what she liked for the most part

Making this work for you son Mom6 with texas fabric.. can you show me how big the words are? is it only the words texas? maybe those would be great for the rounds you don't want busy just want a solid strip? then texas would show up all the way. I think sharing your stuff here is the way to go. It inspires chatter (wow is that horrible? NOT) and it perks the creativity in all of us as we imagine different color combos.. well off to finish ripping seams out on a quilt I slammed together. worst thing I could do. I hated the subject wanted it done. hated the finished top. so now.. ripping the whole thing apart to start over and do it right. upside of this is that it fill get one of 8 ufo's out of the bucket. a marvelous thing. lots of ripping however. dumbest thing in quilting I have done so far.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Grace, The center can be either a panel or a block that you've made or like someone here, a blank square that she is going to applique on. (At least that is how I understand it). Browse through the thread and see the variety. Here's mine, 12.5", I just took a picture. It's going to be a controlled scrappy, blue & brown.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453769[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	453769  
Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 PM

If you're wanting to draft a mariner's compass there are many free patterns and blogs around to help you. I took this course in 1999 and this is the first time I've looked at the block or drafting since so I'm sorry I can't give you much more info on it. Try this ...just scroll down a little & there's a good description of one here. http://debbykratovilquilts.blogspot....-mariners.html