Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM

I have a question or I should say opinions! Several years ago I was in a Round Robin and made a lovely center as the requirements asked for...the following rounds did not follow my color scheme and to be honest the top was a mess. My daughter keeps asking when I'm going to finish her quilt. I just can't without ripping it back. So if I take the center and use it for the medallian...hopefully the size will work. I'll have to get it out and see! lol

What do you think? Could it be used?

Hugs,
Cajun
Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Cajun, I don't see why not. Why didn't the following rounds follow your color scheme? Was it because the other participants did not use the correct colors? If so, sorry that happened. Here is your chance to make it HAPPEN!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:31 PM

mom-6 - could you use the texans fabric to applique their logo to a 12 1/2 inch block? Then you could use the same fabric for the rounds. I try to avoid applique myself but this was the first idea that popped in my head.
Ok Brat - I got the *gentle* prodding. Here are a couple of audition pics for my centers. These are both 12 1/2 inches. I made these in the early 90's as I was working my way through one of those teach yourself to quilt books. I think the dresden would be better because I could use more colors/fabrics in the rounds. Please ignore the wrinkles as these have both been stuffed into a box for 15 years. What do you guys think?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453828[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]453827[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	medallion 1.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	453827   Click image for larger version

Name:	medallion 2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	453828  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM

And now you guys see why I avoid applique by looking at the above evidence. LOL.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM

As I said , I have already done my centre but would be content to wait as I have a lot on the go at the moment.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 PM

I've just made an executive decision! My 24 1/2" block I have ready I will still do rounds for but it will end up as a cover for my washing machine. The 12 1/2 " block I have ready will continue, adding rounds as directed and I like the idea of making a specific centre for one as well. I'm ready and raring to go....3 to do. now to look up the Mariner block...looks hard,may take a bit of thinking about, but I love the look of it.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM

I like the Dresden too, both for the fabric choices and because it just seems like it calls out to be a center.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:36 PM

I vote for starting rounds on Jan 1st. I will get to the store tomorrow to see if I can find a premade center. If not 1) Elisabrat will post something I love, 2) there are several possibilties on Quilterscache or 3) I can make a plain old Carpenter Star. It won't be plain in bright batiks.

Jan 1st is 2 days away. I'd better get the quilt on the machine FMQed. I can mix piecing on several things at once, but not piecing and FMQ. I have another machine set up, but i prefer to use my favorite for both. Oooo, the excitement is building.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 PM

wiggle your fingers, wiggle your toes! the quilting ideas are out in throes! um all that I could think of that rhymes lol and not sure it works but here it goes as follows. You CAN use any center that works with 4.5 or 6.5 inch blocks suggestion being 12.5 or 24.5 for the most ease here.. you can use other size centers just know you will be adding like filler blocks or end pieces as it wont add up using the blocks we will be using on the sides. You CAN use a premade block, you can whip up one of my easy blocks (in a day no trouble) and we will be starting with one round the first of the month So if you can get your center made great by then if you can't its ok you will have lots of time to work on it and a round.. a whole month even! and like noted above the first couple rounds go a whole lot quicker than the last two.. which might take a lot of time.. or I have seen rounds solid strips with corner appliques which didn't take that much time at all.. you will get so good at this you can figure it out on your own but hopefully you stick with us just for the absolute fun of quilting together. We may not be able to sit around a room together and work away on our quilts but this is the next best thing PLUS we get all the sewing room we need no packing up of our machines and hustling over to some meeting area in the cold! no .. um group fees unless you want to send large sums of money to me which I will gladly keep and use as carpeting! yup carpeting there will be so much of it. ok fantasy 500 sheesh. see you soon ye quilters of with faith. We will work hard at not disappointing you. AND please feel free to use fabrics that coordinate with your quilt, build it as you go if you will so you end up with a quilt that you love. remember its your fabric choices you can always throw a solid round in to slow it down and make it easier or less busy if you are stressing it is too busy and it can be truly lovely. You can do it *noted because if I can anyone of you can!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
I've just made an executive decision! My 24 1/2" block I have ready I will still do rounds for but it will end up as a cover for my washing machine. The 12 1/2 " block I have ready will continue, adding rounds as directed and I like the idea of making a specific centre for one as well. I'm ready and raring to go....3 to do. now to look up the Mariner block...looks hard,may take a bit of thinking about, but I love the look of it.
Boy! That's going to be one fancy washing machine!!! And now you're going to do 3? You are one brave girl!!!
I have decided that I'm going to use that really cute fabric you sent a couple Xmas ago...think it will make a really cute baby quilt. Haven't decided on my center yet. I vote to begin a round in Jan. also. I will be out of town most of Jan. but will have sewing machine & fabric with me. I hope I can keep up doing this along with everything else. I'm glad there's no real time limit...