UFOs

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM

I have 3 UFO needing quilted. I have one quilt with pattern and fabric all picked out but as I use mostly just what I have in my stash would I count that one? I also have one set of shams that just need to be put together. And of course I have unknown number of skirts needing some sort of mending, waistbands re-done, etc. Guess you could call those UFOs too. Guess I don't have too many projects setting around.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM

I tried this last year....I am ashamed (kind of) that I had over 40 UFO's. I guess I'm easily distracted...LOL But it only lasted a couple months before there was fabric I just needed to add to the stash!

I like your idea of finishing a certain number of projects, 5 is a good number, before buying something new. I think I may try this!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

If I counted my UFO's I might get depressed, but I do know I have several too many.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM

I have quite a few and have started working on 2 that I hope to finish in a few weeks. One is handwork and the other is a machine embroidery quilt. After that, maybe I could count how many UFOs I actually have!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Just thinking about the UFO situation. It really isn't surprising that we have so many, it only takes an hour to start another quilt but it takes months to complete one. That makes me feel marginally better.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 PM

I don't have too many. I'm working on two identical quilts for my great-nieces, and I have patterns and fabric for four more lap quilts. I have a paper-piecing wall hanging project that I take to Hawaii every January to work on in the evenings. Oh, I forgot, I also have two sets of blocks that I won in lottos that I have to make something of. I guess I have more that I thought. I'd better stop thinking, or I might come up with more yet. Oops, and the one that's at the LA that will need binding.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM

Smiles, the 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month Train will be going thru on Jan. 1st. You are all welcome to jump on board and ride along with the rest of us as we plug away at those piles of UFOs (however large or small).
We offer support, praise, encouragement and well, yeah, a little enabling now and then. Smilesssss...........
What we DON'T offer is a lot of rules, criticism, negativity and definitely NOT UFO POLICE!!!
Check out the QB home pages for the UFO Challenge for 2013 if you are not familiar with us and want to check out what we are all about!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 PM

Linda: I will be there! Want to finish the eight that are left over from last year. Problem is I have started a couple more. Breaking even is good, right?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:01 PM

Love this thread! I've only been quilting for 3 years and have tops, blocks, units and "fabric+intended_patterns" all over the place. I guess the number of UFOs depends on what you count as a UFO. My motivation for getting UFOs finished is to deny myself more fabric until a UFO is done. That hurts too much!

It's also an eye-opener that I can actually give away a quilt top made for a class. Duh! It was the learning, not the quilt, that appealed. A couple of those puppies will be finding new homes. Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM

I have many UFO's personal and business. I was my Moms primary care giver until we had to place her. Not an easy choice. I also had a shredded meniscus and had surgery on my right knee. Rehab through the Summer. Cleaning out Moms area. Then 2 Vacations in Nov. Thanksgiving as soon as we got back from traveling! Then the Christmas Holiday. Finally I can get back to quilting! I did manage to work on my 60 plus UFO's this year. I have one I am hand quilting. Two that I am piecing. I will be moving the quilt studio soon so I will be able to reassess the UFO pile! My goal for 2014 is to finish at least 12 UFO's for the year. I did finish 5 UFO's this year. I think going through the UFO's finding the ones you really want to finish and just do it Helps a lot! But mostly have fun! Luann