Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques. >

I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques.

I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I think that DebraK is correct. The free videos are great and I would not call them"slapdash". They are meant to show a particular technique to make a particular quilt. You can purchase many videos on HOW to quilt, pinning snd pressing etc. Is that perhaps what you are looking for?

Oh and when I sew strips together I never pin. That is not showing a lack of technique. My machine sews straight and true - pinning would be a waste of time!
I couldn't seem to find Debrak's post but I have to agree you. These videos are free and designed to sell products so they focus on one particular method of assembly, technique or quilt pattern. Take from them what they have to offer, refine your searches and look into what ever else interests you.
Kay Woods is great at this. Her focus is usually a quilt pattern and the techniques used to make it. . . using her rulers of course, but there's lot of information with it. I believe she has one on the 8 pointed star block with the technique for joining the centers. She may even have one on the lone star quilt.
Good luck and keep looking, I'm sure it's out there.

Last edited by bobquilt3; 12-31-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Swap Hosts

You can always hit the pause button, or drag the arrow back to the beginning to watch something again. I find that helps. And if you have a question, ask it below the video. Usually someone will get back with an answer.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:31 AM

I am sometimes troubled by the techniques I see in videos and the inconsistency I see. Most of the time the teacher is selling a product or a quick method. I have seen techniques on one block that I know would not allow additional blocks to fit together. I have wondered about the 'out takes' You do know that these videos are shot and re-shot and spliced beck together for presentation.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I suppose some of these videos are trying to sell the product and not techniques as with missorie star. I know what you mean but very detailed videos don't appear to exist. I was looking for how to join the eight se cations of a lone star, with all point meeting in the centre.sofar can't find it .
Don't know if there is a video but here is how I do it....sew sections into pairs, then two pairs into a four section...match that center seam, making sure the seams are opposing..then
pin that very center...then about a quarter of an inch from that point on each side of that center pin, remove that center pin...then sew from that center out to the end of each side, removing each pin as you get to it......then the last part and the fun part, in my opinion, is make that cute little pinwheel from that center. Takes a little more time sewing those two sections center out, but best way for me to avoid making " mountain tops" of that final joining seam
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

At least some do take the time and effort to make the videos. If any one doesn't know the basics of good quilting techniques then it's up to that person to read a quilt book or take a class. It's not the main goal of most quilting videos.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I think that DebraK is correct. The free videos are great and I would not call them"slapdash". They are meant to show a particular technique to make a particular quilt. You can purchase many videos on HOW to quilt, pinning snd pressing etc. Is that perhaps what you are looking for?

Oh and when I sew strips together I never pin. That is not showing a lack of technique. My machine sews straight and true - pinning would be a waste of time!
I just have to ask....since none of my machines can sew a straight seam....haha. What kind of sewing machine do you have? I am getting better with the 1/4" seam, but not to where I am confident enough to not pin all my seams.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 AM

The videos do seem to go fast. But IMHO they are free and just think back and it was not possible to have someone show us a video, you had to pay for a class or buy a book to learn a particular process.. I really enjoy the free videos that and of the quilt company's furnish for us free of charge. And some folks can sew without pinning, and press just the way she does on the video.. I think unless you are dealing with something cut on the bias it is not that critical.. Again this is just MO.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM

Quick and easy seems to be the trend. Nowadays a "quilter" doesn't even have to cut her own pieces, may not select her own fabrics, technique may be sloppy, and has the end result machine quilted!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 AM

I use Eleanor Burns methods for half square triangles and flying geese.
She once explained why she throws scraps over her shoulder. She had a scrap bag attached to the table and the director told her to get rid of it, so she starting the over the shoulder throw.
They have a limited amount of time and it is very different from quilting at home.
You can watch her videos on her website Quilt In A Day.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 AM

I just watched this video this morning. Very detailed and easy to follow. It is long, but I skipped ahead a few times. I know how to do the corners, but I wanted to see how she joined the ends of the binding strips. She did it just like I do, and this is the first one I have seen do that.

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/5489

This link came from the post about Charity Quilts.