Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Threads

I went to a local quilt store today that was having a store wide 30% off sale. Love those! I have been going to JoAnns for emb thread when they have it for 50% off. They carry Sulky which I do like. The quilt store had Floriani which I have never used and I always assumed it would be quite expensive. I was really surprised to see that in general, it is less expensive than the 50% off Sulky at JoAnns. I can't say I needed any thread, but I did buy several spools. The shop lady told me that it is definitely less expensive but people seem to like it just as much if not more than Sulky. I just might do an inventory of my threads and go back for more before the sale is over. They were also having 30% off floor model machines but I didn't bite. Love my Brother.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

I love Floriani thread.

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I went to a local quilt store today that was having a store wide 30% off sale. Love those! I have been going to JoAnns for emb thread when they have it for 50% off. They carry Sulky which I do like. The quilt store had Floriani which I have never used and I always assumed it would be quite expensive. I was really surprised to see that in general, it is less expensive than the 50% off Sulky at JoAnns. I can't say I needed any thread, but I did buy several spools. The shop lady told me that it is definitely less expensive but people seem to like it just as much if not more than Sulky. I just might do an inventory of my threads and go back for more before the sale is over. They were also having 30% off floor model machines but I didn't bite. Love my Brother.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Diamond and a Designer 1. Still learning on them. Software is hardest!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:23 AM

I love Floriani thread! I also have Sulky and quite a lot of them. This past Christmas I bought the 100 pk. thread and though costly it averaged to $2.30 a spool which isn't bad considering that the lqs sells it at $4.60 a spool. If I don't have the color that I need from Floriani then I'll I'll use the thread chart I have, with the actual threads not the printed color chart, and match them up with the sulky.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 AM

Has anyone used the poly Glide thread for embroidery?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM

I'd love to try my hand at embroidery however I don't have a machine yet though I keep looking! One of the things I do ponder about is whether it is better to have two separate machines or one combined. I keep relating this to an old washer dryer I had, couldn't wait to get rid of it and return to a washer and tumble dryer since it neither washed nor dried particularly efficiently. Would that experience bear any relevance to sewing/embroidery? Thank you for any advice.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Sheilz I have an embroidery only machine and separate sewing machine. While the embroidery machine is going I can go ahead and continue my sewing/quilting. The only time I stop sewing is to change the thread and/or to check that it is embroidering ok. I used to own a Babylock Ellure Plus which is a combo machine, sew/embroider and found myself using the embroidery portion more than the sewing and constantly switching out the foot for both. For me it was a hassle and I much prefer to have two separate machines. Also consider how much room you have for two machines. If you already own a sewing machine then check into some embroidery machines only. Size of hoop is also important. If you purchase a machine with a 4x4 hoop then you cannot have a design any larger. A 5x7 hoop gives you more room for small/medium size designs so you can have both. Just my opinion and I'm sure there are many here who can also help. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
Sheilz I have an embroidery only machine and separate sewing machine. While the embroidery machine is going I can go ahead and continue my sewing/quilting. The only time I stop sewing is to change the thread and/or to check that it is embroidering ok. I used to own a Babylock Ellure Plus which is a combo machine, sew/embroider and found myself using the embroidery portion more than the sewing and constantly switching out the foot for both. For me it was a hassle and I much prefer to have two separate machines. Also consider how much room you have for two machines. If you already own a sewing machine then check into some embroidery machines only. Size of hoop is also important. If you purchase a machine with a 4x4 hoop then you cannot have a design any larger. A 5x7 hoop gives you more room for small/medium size designs so you can have both. Just my opinion and I'm sure there are many here who can also help. Good luck!
Thank you that is really helpful. I do have a spare sewing machine which I'm in the process of selling so I think replacing it with an embroidery only would be acceptable lol!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what software extension is for a singer futura embroidery machine? I bought it from HSN and haven't found this info so far. Never had an EM,but many other sewing and also an espire quilting machine, not quite ready for a longarm
the extension for singer is .xxx but you should be able to use .dst
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Swap Hosts

I would vote for an embroidery only machine. I originally bought a Babylock Sophia 2 for sewing primarily. Well, once I got going with embroidery, I found I never took the embroidery attachment off. And, as mentioned, you can sew while you stitch.