Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Rethinking the block size on this quilt and came up with the brilliant idea to make my blocks different sizes. I really wanted to justify ordering more quilt related software. I love the sampler look where the blocks are different sizes so I now have my justification to add something else to my collection of quilt stuff!! Oh I'm so excited about this one!!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM

Ok, that makes sense. I have the foundation factory, where it says finished block size I put 9.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM

I followed the link to the old 50 stars link and found twin pines? quilt done with white backgrounds. that is really nice. wonder what size blocks she used? I liked the way she was going to set it together. did you all notice that? what size is everyone using? started to print off a couple blocks this morning and we need a new Printer. maybe hubby will get one this morning while he is in town.
Mean, what size blocks did you use in your black quilt? I like the idea of being able to use all 50 blocks in one quilt.

a year or so ago we had a stars BOM and I some of these blocks were used. not sure if all 12 were from this book or not. the narrator's name was suda-bug? I believe. my SIL ended up with the quilt for a college graduation gift, and he loved it.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM

i love this idea! i may borrow it. make the blocks i really like a big bigger.
thanks for the heads up on the software. i ran in to the same problem for some reason i switched it to centimeters and now i have the size block i wanted (i think)

Originally Posted by KC21 View Post
Rethinking the block size on this quilt and came up with the brilliant idea to make my blocks different sizes. I really wanted to justify ordering more quilt related software. I love the sampler look where the blocks are different sizes so I now have my justification to add something else to my collection of quilt stuff!! Oh I'm so excited about this one!!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
you could return it, and just use the foundation factory CD. ....
Pictures are too pretty to return the book. Thank you for the suggestion, though. I made it into the yahoo group yesterday. I hope you're in there, too. I'm just lurking at this point in the yahoogroups page. Took me a couple years to stop lurking in here, lol, so I doubt if I'll be actively participating in there anytime soon. I'm just drooling over their pictures so far. As an artistically challenged person, I love seeing everyone else's work.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's Alabama. The hardest part of this for me so far has been searching through my stash finding appropriate values to pair up. I have very, very few light values in my stash! Went to 4 shops yesterday trying to track some down and I am very disappointed in the shops right now. JoAnn's is minimizing their 100% cotton fabrics;Hancock's is, too. Blended light values are there but I want 100% cotton. Quilting shops here have mainly dark values. Online shopping it is going to have to be. After hours of searching through my stash and fabric shopping I do have my Alabama star fabrics ready. Bring on the sewing machine!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's Alabama stars!!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Is it time to post our pictures? Here's my Alabama star.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]454594[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Alabama (504 x 489).jpg
Views:	388
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	454594  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
I followed the link to the old 50 stars link and found twin pines? quilt done with white backgrounds. that is really nice. wonder what size blocks she used? I liked the way she was going to set it together. did you all notice that? what size is everyone using? started to print off a couple blocks this morning and we need a new Printer. maybe hubby will get one this morning while he is in town.
Mean, what size blocks did you use in your black quilt? I like the idea of being able to use all 50 blocks in one quilt.

a year or so ago we had a stars BOM and I some of these blocks were used. not sure if all 12 were from this book or not. the narrator's name was suda-bug? I believe. my SIL ended up with the quilt for a college graduation gift, and he loved it.
I am making my blocks 8" sewNso, because like you, I want all the blocks in the quilt. I ran the first one off at 4", I think that will give me an 8" block. Have not sewn it together yet, so not sure if that is what I will stick with. I also did the Star BOM, mine came out super also!

Anael- you must have been posting as I was writing this. That is beautiful, I love your Alabama Star!!! The background is spectacular Anael.

Hurrah, lets see some more eye candy, I know more of you have a block or two finished, not like me, I have not started yet!

Last edited by JeanieG; 01-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Thank you Jeanie. It took me a long time to find the background fabric.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Very pretty Anael, I love the background fabric. It really makes me rethink if I want light or dark background. Good Job.
On a different note, Staples did an excellent job converting the book into a spiral bound book. It was only $3.99 plus tax. It took till the next day since they were busy.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Ahead of the game

I joined the group last time super late thinking I could catch up, LOL is all that I can say . I did manage to get 4 done but will repost them. I am so glad to be part of this group and can't wait to see everyone's blocks as we go along. I will be using a black background and and batiks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	454627