Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Small Projects >

Ideas for Small Projects

Ideas for Small Projects

Old 01-04-2014, 12:47 PM

The little snap top bags -the ones that you insert a piece of metal tape measure in the casing- take very little fabric, just straight sewing and the most fun part is having folks guess how they snap open and closed. I think I have see directions on this forum and they may be called dragon bags.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:02 PM

I don't have any ideas other than those that were posted but I am interested in the Project of the Month 2014, where do I find it? Thanks ladies....
Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I think grocery totes are really helpful. I was surprised that Los Angeles is now charging 10 cent for each plastic bag. The mug rugs I made for my senior neighbors everyone really liked !!!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 PM

a lady could always use a apron , maybe a towel apron fast and easy make it in one day project
Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi.....I just dropped off some fabric that I had left over from projects to a senior center group in my area. The lady in charge, who is very nice, asked me if I could think of something that the seniors could make with the fabric besides a quilt or potholders. She said they are always looking for ideas. I said I would let her know but I can't come up with much. They do have a few sewing machines and glue guns.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
How about the pockets that you slide under the mattress to hold tv remote,paperback book & phone....
I made one of these for a friend and she has told me several, several times how much she likes it.
Great if you want to watch TV in bed...have everything handy....my friend isn't well and has to lie
down quite a bit & now she doesn't have everything falling off the bed on to the floor...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM

All good ideas. I am amazed at how many small useful projects were suggested.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 PM

Stuff bags to keep plastic grocery bags (hung on the kitchen wall). When mine is full of plastic grocery bags I recycle the excess. I got the instructions free on the net.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM

My aunt used to make lots of interesting things at senior day care. One was note cards with sunbonnet sue. They cut fabric for the dress and hat and arms, and drew in feet and hands. They used a quarter folded sheet of paper, but these could also be done with half a sheet of card stock. Then they sold them with envelopes in sets of 5 or 10.

Another project was Christmas card holders. They used old Christmas cards, cut them in the shape of a vase, punched holes along the sides, and crocheted them together, using a hexagon for the base. This could be adapted to use fabric with heavy interfacing. Depending on the fabric chosen, it doesn't have to be a Christmas Card holder.

The stuff bags that MaryStoaks mentions can be easily made using cut off legs from pants (I've usually seen jeans used). Just gather one end with a piece of elastic.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM

Thank you all so much for your ideas! You are all great!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Reusable grocery bags. I've been making them like crazy lately because it is now mandatory in our county and many others that you bring your own bags to the grocery store, or you're charged for the paper bags that the store uses.