Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pot Holders >

Pot Holders

Pot Holders

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

My very favorite and best working potholders were made of terry cloth. Ever since I "noticed" that I have been using a couple layers of batting and a couple layers of terry. Everybody I've made them for love to use them. When I was looking for terry cloth I was so upset to find one bolt of very low quality. Now I've seen bolt after bolt of nice, beautifully colored terry cloth that can be used on the outside too. Robyn
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by iCreate View Post
I'm a fairly new quilter though experienced sewer and many quilters in my family tree. For my next project, I will be making pot holders using various sample patchwork blocks. I want to use cotton batting. How many layers are recommended for good heat protection yet not too bulky?
I'd add one layer of Insulbrite with the shiny facing teh side to grab the hot stuff with. Then maybe a thinner layer of the cotton
Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by iCreate View Post
I just checked Hancock's website and didn't see anything fitting crafty pat's description. I did see something called Nature-Fil which is 50% rayon from bamboo and 50% cotton. Any thoughts on this product?
I'd skip the rayon. I don't think it hold up to heat too well.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 PM

I have never thought of old jeans but will try it as I am going to use up all the fresh market fabric I have. I will use it all up, I will use it all lup, I will use it all up you get the Idea.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM

I use two layers of Insulbrite and one layer of batting, with the outside fabrics. They have a good thickness and keep the heat away from my fingers. I just got done making some for Christmas gifts. The recipients loved them.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM

I just finished some potholders, I used one layer of insul-bright between two layers of cotton batting (what I use to make quilts), then front and back cotton fabric for both outsides. It was not too thick, and worked well for the heat.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM

I pieced the front used an old towel in the middle and denim on the back, it was from old pink pant legs. Wonderful, no burn and flexible.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 PM

I don't remember if I read this on this thread, but you should not put insulbright into the microwave. It catches fire because there are small metal particles in it. The potholder "bowls" are meant to go into the microwave so that you have something to grab onto to take the hot bowl out. So be sure not to use insulbright for them.

My very favorite potholders that I use every day of my life are two layers of an old towel. Just surged around the outside. They've been burned, patched and mended. A friend threatened to give me some new potholders when she saw mine, but I said, Please don't. I won't use them. I have a few nice ones to get out for "company", but I will use my old ones.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 PM

I've never used just cotton batting in my pot holders. I've always used my OLD ironing board covers, because of all the heat. I always make my top and bottom different so I know what side to place the ironing board cover face down on.
Good luck, I'm sure how ever you do it you will be happy.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 AM

I think this is a very interesting thread. Love the old mattress pad idea, as well as using jeans. I can't use old towels because I use those for the dogs. I took a poll in a quilt guild meeting recently and was amazed at how many of us use old, ragged, burned potholders! I encouraged everyone to make new potholders and USE THEM!!! May as well use pretty potholders that have food on them and are a bit scorched!