Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 AM

MamaHen, Ft Walton here. It's up to 41 this morning, Heat wave LOL
Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by chefbwarner View Post
MamaHen, Ft Walton here. It's up to 41 this morning, Heat wave LOL
Must be warmer here too, the heat pump didn't run all night. Will go out for walk & check soon.
So your not very far away! Someday we need to get together & meet!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 AM

Sewnso LOVE it! not a grand fan of total black and white quilts love throwing at least one color in there and that is a perfect foil to the center.. you guys with that tool.. good for you going the extra mile and keeping at something. wow three times and still going to figure it out?? stand up and take your ovation! I get so mad I stomp off.. twice and then I just get too grumped to keep at it. Sometimes I can walk back and its like a lightbulb in my head. OH YEAH. I again get so off on how to get measurements perfect .. its a hand brain thing lol. I also am the first to figure out ok even if its more steps, and more pieces how to make that block easier in my head. I do oodles of half square triangles vs ever doing a flying geese piece. oh heck no. I wonder if trying that block with someone else so you can both see what your doing and also when cutting your pieces are you cutting to the outside of the cutting line on your ruler or are you cutting on it.. a smidgen more fabric if you cut to the outside.. and pin the heck out of something that isn't lining up is what I say pin pin and then add one more ..
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
let's see if i still remember how. [ATTACH=CONFIG]455566[/ATTACH]
sorry, i was trying not to get it tooo big. black and white. black and olive green on the hour glass blocks.

if you have a regular tri angle ruler that is Not F & P. maybe make your practice size tri by cutting the 5.25 square diagonally twice. then lay it on top of your triangle ruler/cutter. mine showed to cut a 3.5 " triangle. cut once, then flip the ruler over to get the next cut. i had to learn to pay attention to which was my bottom side as i flipped. it had been several years since i had used it.
That is what I did, but I only used my sewn strips. Didn't make a square. I used my reg. triangle ruler, lined up the 4" & 1 1/2" line on the bottom & seam line, it stuck over the top just about but not quite a 1/4", then cut on both sides, turned ruler over and then cut other way. Only cut 4 to start, sewed them together and shock & aw, it came out right.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 AM

Mamahen: This is the way I did it too. Never occurred to me that the people with the ruler weren't using the same method. Wish I had known I would have said something earlier.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Mamahen: This is the way I did it too. Never occurred to me that the people with the ruler weren't using the same method. Wish I had known I would have said something earlier.
I sorta forget how to do something, if I hadn't done it in several years.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post

That's OK, Emma. It was a good excuse to add another ruler to the toolbox.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
I sorta forget how to do something, if I hadn't done it in several years.
LOL sewNso. For me I can forget it in just a week. I have to do it several times for a while before my brain wants to record it as saved.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 AM

my ruler is called 'easy angle', and I sewed some 1.5" strips a few minutes ago. and I still have to flip it, with this particular one. I think I saw it done this way on a u-tube ages ago, also. sorry, I don't like to buy all the extra gadgets if I have one that will work. and we were sorta snowed in. did get out and get to joann's yest, and ran a few errands with the grdsn and grandpa. can't do one without the other these days.
keep them comin ladies, because I have no idea what color I am going to use next. but am going to sew out of the scraps or stash. I'm thinking of keeping the black in each round, but just will play it by ear.

did any of you catch the elenor burns show where she had her 10 yr old granddaughter doing the sewing? I loved it. I had two grdsns sewing on two different machines over Chrms break. I told them lots of men sew, and about the man that sewed patches on all the leather jackets when grdpa & I went to motorcycle shows. their dad does all their patches on their boy scout uniforms.

Last edited by sewNso; 01-09-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM

I have the easy angle ruler. So that one will work on this? I have yet to use it. Hope I can figure it out.