Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that? >

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 PM

I filled spray bottles with a couple of different colored waters and then we went out in the snow and made pictures and wrote notes to people in their yards. Happy faces and hearts were favorites...
Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM

I filled spray bottles with colored water and we went out and made pictures and wrote notes to people in their yards.
Happy faces and hearts were the big hits
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 AM

I agree kids these days have no imagination. I'm thankful I grew up in the 70's on a farm!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I grew up in the 50s and entertaining ourselves was about all we had. Snowball throwing, sliding on ice, sledding, hitching a ride on slow moving cars, holding onto the bumper. Making snow angels. We never worried about frost bite and I never heard of anyone having it either.
__________________________________________________ __________________
I grew up in the 60's and played outside; entertained myself as well ..Never worried about all the bad things-but then there was the invention of the Internet. Good and bad is put out there now-don't get me wrong I am grateful for this invention-Just wish for the up and coming generation that it was a safer domain than it is ...
Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 AM

I have had so much fun reading all this. Oh, the memories it brings back! I loved to ice skate, til my toes hurt!! LOL Now, if I do too much it takes me an hour to recover. LOL But any time spent with my grandbabies is worth more to me than anything else in the world. Love them kids to pieces!!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM

No snow in my past, living in Houston. But great memories of raking leaves and pine needles in the fall, burning them in the alley behind our house, and toating marshmallows in the flames!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Oh boy, where to start!! I grew up in Iowa so my life was outside....hated to stay in to clean or cook! I can't imagine growing up without an imagination. Snow forts, snowball fights, snow igloos, fox and goose in the snow, sledding, ice skating, and that was only the winter!!! We loved being outdoors and had such nice clean fun..... those were wonderful days. I am so glad to see that other grandma's get out and play with their grandkids also. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and I hope you will continue to "play" !!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Growing up in SD, where there was an abundance of snow in the winter, my brother and I used to build snow forts, snow tunnels and we played outside as long as possible - we made our own entertainment. I remember using a large scoop shovel (used to shovel grain) to "sled" down a snow drift that was as high as the roof of the garage. One winter we even built a 6-7 foot snowman, and I remember carving arms on him - he was actually quite spectacular, if I do say so myself. You're right - kids need to get outside and play more rather than sitting in front of the TV or playing electronic games.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I remember freezing and never coming in, building a fort b4 the big kids got home so we could have snowball fights. Ice skating on the streets and sidewalks, using garbage can covers for shields. these poor kids today. they won't go out in it just want to be home from school to play video games. I guess snow is a "toy" of the past. sleigh riding was big too. and the best sled was a big pc of cardboard covered in plastic bags, they would fly.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

the most romantic gift I ever got was from a boy Andrew Chirsera in 6th grade. I wanted purple snow for Christmas, early in the morning, he came to my house and sprayed all the front lawn snow purple. it was so special