Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM

I agree with Emma, how you define it. You are already off to a great start in sticking with them so they don't get to be lifers in your cupboards.
Hi Mariposa.
Finished up the flying geese, now to get them into long rows for the border and sew them on. had to finish a customer QOV last night. It turned out great. Will finish up a bed runner I made couple months ago on the longarm and hopefully get this border onto the modern hexi so I can show you. Oh the quilting should be great, I hope.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
Teri- pretty quilt!

QM--love your geese!

Linda- fun assortment of blocks!
Ditto --- just checking in to see how you all are doing. My goal is to hand quilt 3 blocks a day and I've been keeping up with that. It doesn't give me as much time on the QB but I'm making good progress. It's good to see you all making progress, too. Keep it up.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

So here's my first partially done UFO. Remember, I'm a hobby quilter and the straight stitching lines didn't always go straight. The binding needs to be done, and I probably have enough remnants to use the same materials for that.
Big question:
I used 80/20 Hobbs cotton batting. It states that quilting can be up to 4" apart. This stitching is exactly that. So do you think I need more quilting lines or leave it be?[ATTACH=CONFIG]455824[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	455824  
Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 PM

Coopah, Love your quilt!!! Since I don't use batting, I can't give an experienced answer, but IMHO, if it says 4" and you are at that, you are good to go. LOL
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Coopah: Looks great from here, really nice design! As far as the quilting, I always assumed that the measurement given was conservative. The manufacture wants happy customers. Congrats on the finish!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Coopah, love your quilt! The colors are very appealing and the variety in scale of the prints make it fun to look at! Good job. I think it is plenty of quilting if you followed the mfr's directions and you are happy with it . Looks great to me!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the compliments! Man, that picture came out really big, but I didn't see any way to reduce it! I'm hoping the 4" is right, as I've not used this batting before. Anyway, off to do the binding! This group is going to be great at helping me "get 'er done!"
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Coopah, lovely quilt. I don't think I'd do any more quilting. You have plenty of color and design and more quilting might distract from that. You'll have the binding done in no time and be on to the next one...... it's so much fun to see everyone making progress..... helps to keep me going, too.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Yesterday was UFO day for a friend and I. She pulled out 3 quilts and sewed the binding on, just needs to hand sew it in place.

We had a quick run to our local shop as I had a mystery quilt meeting, and together we found border fabric for another of her UFOs.

I am astounded with her as those were her only UFOs. She has a current project and only those few pieces hanging on, which she'll have done this week.

I am more of a mess LOL. For my UFOs I took over two projects. One was a stack of pinwheel blocks, half of them were the result of a quilting bee a couple of years ago. They have lived uncomfortably in a ziplock baggy until yesterday, I put them together, added border and it is now ready for backing and quilting!

So now it will live in that pile!

I found a class project from September 2011, called Exploding Pineapples, from the book Sew Simple Pineapple by Karin Hellaby. I had only managed 3 blocks during class and thats where I left it. So yesterday I completed 3 more blocks. I feel really good about this quilt so I am going to focus on it for the next while.

I don't know why I left it, I probably joined a class the next month and moved on.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 PM

My first flimsy for 2014! Thank you SheriR for helping with borders...used the cut off HSTs from the blocks rather than create another UFO. Pretty smart this group is. It's ready for quilting and then an awesome rainbow batik binding. I may use the rainbow fabric on the back too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Siggy.JPG
Views:	1007
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	456286