Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Material >

Cutting Material

Cutting Material

Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 AM

Hello Verna - I still jump when I see "my" name referring to someone else (anyone with an unusual name will understand). Hope your knee heals and you're back to cutting strength. There are some good hints here and something is sure to work for you. Don't think about giving up, think about how pleasant and relaxing it will be sitting in a comfortable chair with your current project being worked on. Wishing you all things good, from

another Verna
Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 AM

I sometimes need to cut sitting down when my hips are bothering me. I bought an adjustable height table at Sams Club and put it on the lowest height. Then I adjust my desk chair until it's a comfortable height with the table. Works for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 AM

wish I lived in your neighborhood, I would cut for you... maybe you could do a little at a time, it would be sad to have to give up
Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I have a dear friend that is unable to stand for a long period. She always cuts her fabric siting down at the kitchen table. She sits on a pillow that puts her up higher. This works great for her. Her cutting is always perfect. Please take care of that knee. Keep it elevated when sitting but be sure also to keep it in motion even if it hurts. That will keep it from freezing up on you...Good luck to you.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM

I use a wheel chair and can not walk or stand. I sit at my dining room table with a mat and cut all sorts of stuff. I do not use a long ruler, but I fold the material so I only have about 11 inches to cut across to make WOF strips.

Trust me, as a long time wheel chair user, you can do a million things sitting down!!!

Christine

Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
Please help. Right now I am unable to stand for very long and cut material. Had surgery on knee and not doing to good with it. Anyway my question is this. I am trying to figure out a way to sit and cut my material, does anyone else do this and if so can you give me suggestions or better yet pictures. If I can't figure anything out I may have to give up my sewing and quilting. For 2 days now I have been trying to cut material to make a travel bag for my sewing utensils. Almost got it done but I am so swollen and hurt so bad. I just know someone on here will come up with a good ideal for me.

Thank you
verna2197
Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 PM

I have one of those over the bed tables from the hospital and an adjustable desk chair and I was able to cut out and sew a king size quilt while I was recuperating after I fell off a roof and fractured both hips. And I was really proud of myself when it was finished-it only took me 3 weeks from start to getting it to the post office.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I would suggest to buy a Go or Go Baby. No accurate cutting needed at all. I rip the fabric to fit the dies or use scissors. You can sit and turn the handle.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM

A lot of good ideas here. I'm not sure I can really contribute anything new. Regarding scissors to cut: Yes, they work but after trying a rotary cutter for the first time shortly after Christmas, I can say for certain that rotary cutters are like magic. My cutting and piecing accuracy improved dramatically just by using a rotary cutter.
I have trouble standing for long periods too due to melanoma that first made itself known on the bottom of my left foot. The best idea I can give is the low table, preferably tilted, so you can reach better. I will pray for a speedy recovery for you.
Rodney
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM

I, too, have severe pain and it is hard for me to quilt as well. I can't quilt very long, so I do it only in short sessions. It hurts me cut the fabric, so I put my dining room table on bed risers so that it would be higher and easier to rotary cut. My chiropractor told me that I could not do any task for longer 10-15 minutes. I have my sewing space set up so that the cutting table is in one room and my ironing station and sewing machine is in another, so that I have to get up and walk from one room to another. It helps to walk, even if it's only a few steps, it helps with the pain. All I can do is suggest that you do any task for short periods and then do something else and then come back to it. I know how much pain makes anything so much harder, but, there are ways to keep the hobbies we love and still not make the pain worse. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 AM

I feel your pain. I have a similar issue but with my lower back. I can cut or iron standing up for about 10 minutes before the horrible pain starts to set in. I'm assuming you have the typical cutting table that many of us use. I have a simple bar stool that swivels and no back (think I bought it at Meijer for around $40). I'll cut the long cut of fabric, then I can sit down at my cutting table and sub-cut that strip. Same with ironing - can sit down when needed. There's a little learning curve to get used to this method but, in a short time, you'll be back up and quilting again. Feel better!!