Fabric covered needlework box >

Fabric covered needlework box

Fabric covered needlework box

Old 12-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I am excited to see your fabric box sandpat :D:D:D
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Should I tell you all that I buy my elastic by the roll? It will be a while before I run out, I think the roll that is the size for this had 144 yards on it
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

And I haven't even started drawing yet. I should have, I hope that this weekend I get some stuff done and I can focus on other things for a bit.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm not sure Lesley, but seems like they do have that service. Seems I read that somewhere when I was buying the pair for my Grandmother.

I got more elastic today..9 yrds...should do me huh??? :wink: Got the insides all done and I'm ready to sew the outers to the bottom, then gussets...I'm almost there..I can feel it!

DH is very impressed....said it "looks better than store bought!"
Wooo Hooo, praise indeed from DH - I am chuffed to bits - 'better than store bought', and when you think of the cost, it is very little really - a total of three quarters of a yard of fabric, a few inches (inches Patti, not yards LOL) of elastic, small quantity of batting and some card, probably less than an A3 sheet.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

CB...you buy like I do...if a little is needed...buy alot..you just never know, right??? :wink:

Lesley..I am an idiot....even after all your warnings...I put the batting on the outsides...sideways...so last night had to strip those, cut new batting and redo. But, I did all the insides finished and then got all the outsides sewn to the bottom..I'm almost home now for sure!!

I was a little confused about the pockets (I don't have a sewing background)..but I ended up sewing a hem all the way around..then doing my turning for the elastic. I then sewed the elastic together (I did that on the elastic straps too)..then just slide it over the lining piece. I hope that will work. The pockets looked like little skirts before I sewed the bottom down :roll: Please tell me that sewing the elastic together in the back will work out fine... :?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Oh, Patti, of course your elastic will work fine. I sewed mine together, because I couldn't see that just glueing them would hold in the long term. As for the pockets, you probably did more than needed. Yes, I put a casing for the elastic along the top, and that was it - no sewing down the sides or bottom, as the sides get glued down, and the bottom I put a few stitches in just to hold the pleats or gathers in place, but the edges were still raw. Don't forget that all the raw edges will be hidden when these box linings get stuck to the outsides.
As for the other little problem, don't worry, we are all human, and if you make another box, you won't do that again, will you. I am dying to see the finished box, and the fabric you chose. Just people's choice of fabric makes them look incredibly different. Some do really startling interiors, just for the hell of it. I once saw one that had a bright green frog appliqued to the lining in the bottom, for a joke.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Here comes No. 2 box. I love the fabric, spot the mistake LOL

Okay I will tell you the wisteria are not hanging down the way. :?

Never mind this one is for me, will give the other as a present.

2nd Box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58498[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-58498.jpe
Views:	256
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	58498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-58499.jpe
Views:	660
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	58499  
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Double wow, Elle, what a lovely box - Even with you telling me to find the deliberate mistake, I didn't spot it, so I doublt suppose many others would either, and I love the fabric, I am rather partial to oriental designs myself. You seem to have made this one quicker, was it easier this time? My second one was.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:20 PM

Yes it did seem quicker this time. I donīt think anyone will notice really. its a deliberate mistake that works. :?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Elle, its beautiful!!! I don't see any mistakes...and wouldn't care anyway. I have mine almost finished...just have to glue the 2nd side of the gussets and put the liner in the bottom..Its pretty..I like it..will be able to post a pic tomorrow.