Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-21-2014, 05:29 AM

Nancia and Wildyard, you've made significant progress. Your quilts look so good. I bound the quilt I posted earlier, and have decided not to finish one UFO started long ago at a fabric shop as a block of the month. They gave us fabric that is so thin, I had wonky edges. Since it needed to be bigger, I ripped off the wonkiness and discovered even the center is wonky. So it goes to the guild to be put on the "grab it" table. Maybe someone else needs the challenge. Right now I'm feeling that I need to get old things done (one way or t'other) so I can move on and enjoy new projects. But I couldn't just throw the whole thing in the trash. Does anyone else feel that way? I bought 4 new EBurns patterns last year when El's sister came to our guild...and haven't done one!!! She's due to visit again...what to do? AUGH!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 AM

coopah, I totally agree. I would have nightmares if I threw fabric in the trash. LOL. Then I'd wake up and go take it out. I always cringe when I read here on the board of others throwing projects, scraps, etc. away. There are so many people who would love to have the fabric and/or the challenge that I just can't understand trashing perfectly good fabric.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks, Wildyard. My husband thinks I'm nuts and that no one will pick it up. So, it's good to know someone else "out there" has the same difficulty with throwing things away. Hope it will "float someone's boat." Just not mine!! ROTFL!!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Wildyard, for some reason I can't show you via pm my kits to trade with your dresdan plate. Tell me if any of these will work. They have been cut up for some time now (6 years) and ready to go. #1 applecore, #2 drunkard path, #3 HST pinwheel blocks work great, #4 One fabric star blocks. i have already made three quilts with this stuff and it remains to haunt me. These will make a lap size quilt each. If there are any others who want to trade for my ufos here, let me know. Would love to move them out of my inventory and off my list.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	apple core UFO.JPG
Views:	857
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	458207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drunkard Path.jpeg
Views:	887
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	458208   Click image for larger version

Name:	HST Pinwheel bag.jpeg
Views:	846
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	458209   Click image for larger version

Name:	One Block Star.jpeg
Views:	858
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	458210  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM

So my present UFO is a red,pink,white hugs and kisses Valentine quilt, that I have quilted the center of. Now I am faced with quilting the 5" borders and am wondering what to do. Do any of you have a simple border go-to pattern to do on my DSM? I'm not adept at FMQ...yet! On previous quilts I have done some channel quilting, but the borders are plain red and I was hoping for something more interesting. I have a two toned binding ready to go when I get the borders done. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Hearts, dahling! Streams of beautiful hearts all sizes, all strung together!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM

QltrSue--what about hearts in the border to tie in with the theme? You could trace them on and stitch around them...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Depending on the amount of quilting you have done in the center, if you are not adept to FMQ, then I would do a bead board look, that is do a line, then another 1/4" away to 1/2" away, and continue all the way down. Another one that adds variety but is not your standard 1" spaced lines is to do a line, then another the 1/4" space away, then 1" then 1/4", adds texture to the outside without having to do FMQ. Otherwise the hearts with loops between would be beautiful also. Another addition would be to do curved borders if you want to spruce up the soft border and make it look elegant. Quilt it first then cut the curves. Eleanor Burns has a great scalloped border ruler that would be wonderful.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM

Love your orphan block quilt wildyard. It is coming along wonderfully. Oh, I have a bunch of those as well, but they are scattered all over the place. I use them for my machine quilting practice pieces.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 AM

Thank you, Nancia, Carriem, and QuilterMomma, for the border quilting ideas. I'm considering each one and will see what I can do!