Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funeral quilt >

Funeral quilt

Funeral quilt

Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Oh my. I don't think I would ever go to a funeral museum.... too morbid for me. But, the quilt is interesting. I can understand why the ribbons would deteriorate. And, I'm surprised that this quilt is so colorful. Do the ribbons have words on them? People make memory quilts all the time so I shouldn't be surprised at a funeral ribbon quilt, I guess.

There is one in Springfield, IL. On the same cemetery grounds where Abe Lincoln is interred. It is an interesting museum.

Sandy
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Death is part of life. I don't see it as "morbid". Untimely at times, yes.
sandy
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM

I had not heard of these quilts before. My mother used to make ribbon roses from these ribbons and give to the family members. Bigger bouquets (sp) for the adults and small ones of 3 or 4 for the grandkids. I have mine from my grandparents ribbons and from my Dads. But I like the quilt idea.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM

What a wonderful sharing thread!

I made my in-laws a 'family quilt' - El Burns' Four Sisters pattern using the favorite colors of each of their 4 children, and set with my in laws' 2 favorite colors. The label was a block with hearts of each fabric appliqued and each family member's name embroidered next to their heart.

My MIL was nearly blind but she would run her fingers over those hearts and the letters of the names for hours. She could see the colors of the quilt.

I was a very novice quilter at the time, and there was certainly an angel helping me with their quilt. I was surprised and honored when my FIL asked to drape her coffin with their quilt at her funeral. My MIL's coffin had a little drawer where we could tuck mementos for her - she has a duplicate quilt label from me.

My FIL wants us to drape his when the time comes. Thank you helping me recall these memories.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 AM

Prissnboots - love the sound of your guy! On my second date, we spent it in a copy shop so I could run stuff off for school. He said it was ridiculous I had to spend my own money for copies to use with my kids and he took a bunch of my forms and homework sheets with him to his job, talked to his boss about the problem, and got permission to run off as much as I needed throughout the school year. Talk about a keeper!

I live in Houston and have for years said I wanted to go to the funeral museum - I think your post is the push I need to do it.

Hope all continues well with your guy!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 AM

Sounds like an interesting beginning to a relationship, I'm serious. The museum sounds interesting also. Worst that could happen, you enjoyed a new experience. Best that could happen, the two of you could be a good match. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing a new look at quilting with us.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

how interesting!