Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you say to requests.... >

What do you say to requests....

What do you say to requests....

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM

I agree with the thought that saying less is best. I don't do those requests anymore because it takes too much time and in my case has been very unappreciated. Don't need gushing etc., but a simple thanks would be very welcome. I truly don't think people realize the time and expense involved in making a quilt esp when you send in out to a LAer.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM

I've never had a problem saying no to a request for a quilt. My quilts are for fun and mostly gifts for close friends and/or family. Just gave a queen size dancing four patch adapted from a Bonnie Hunter pattern to my friend who just turned 91. She thanks me for it at least once a week. During her lifetime she made many quilts and gave them away and really doesn't know where they are now. She was sleeping under a raggedy old 'rooster' quilt she made for her husband many years ago. And I mean ragged, like holes in it.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM

I say-----Quilting is my hobby, not my job!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
If you don't want to make them, then don't. You have no obligation to fulfill every request for a quilt, no matter who the asker is. I would tell your niece that have many projects going and know that you wouldn't be able to get to them in a timely manner. If she's miffed, that's her problem not yours. You could refer her to a LQS who might have names of quilters who are looking for business. She might not want the quilts made once she knows how much someone really would charge her.
This is my suggestion, too. I'd simply say I don't sew for others. If they press, then say you don't have time, or my usual reply is that I'm afraid I couldn't please someone else and prefer not to have that pressure. Having said that, I did find myself trapped not long ago in agreeing to redo some drapes for a long time friend's daughter who "doesn't sew". It never came to pass, thankfully, perhaps because the daughter, who "doesn't sew," didn't really want me messing with her drapes! Which suited me down to the ground; I was already trying to figure a way out of it.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM

I would be honest and say this is not something I would be able to accomplish. No need to explain just what would prohibit you from accomplishing said task. Unless she would challenge your opinion that yes, you could if you wanted to, in which case I would say it is a time issue. If I don't want to make a quilt I do not have the time.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I've never had a problem saying no to a request for a quilt. My quilts are for fun and mostly gifts for close friends and/or family. Just gave a queen size dancing four patch adapted from a Bonnie Hunter pattern to my friend who just turned 91. She thanks me for it at least once a week. During her lifetime she made many quilts and gave them away and really doesn't know where they are now. She was sleeping under a raggedy old 'rooster' quilt she made for her husband many years ago. And I mean ragged, like holes in it.
So glad you found a perfect recipient!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:25 PM

I say "no," and if they press, I say "no" again!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Swap Hosts

How about, "I wish I could say yes, but I'm afraid my project line up is a very long one right now."
Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM

I agree with luvTooQuilt,,, Quote a price and ask for the money up front, that lets you know if they are serious.. And if they send the money then you are obligated.. So if you really don't want to do it better just tell her you can't
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by LJDay View Post
"Take a number" I have "x" amount lined up and it's probably going to be a couple of years before I can even think about it.
Similar answers would imply that there is a list and she might make it to the top one of these days.. I'd just say no and very little more.