Craft Festival

Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Default Craft Festival

I was wondering if anyone has ever done a crafts festival. I am considering participating in a crafts fesitval and thought it would be a great opportunity for me to display some of my crafts, but then I got to thinking how would I keep up with all of that sewing? I only intend to go perhaps every other weekend, and I only intend on making quick craft items, but can anyone give any suggestions on a productive way to produce inventory? Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Check to see how much it will cost for a spot. If possible talk to someone who does the festival to see what the foot traffic is and what sells best, small items or large.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

a good friend does crafts all of the time... she doesn't make much doing it, but she's so creative and sells her wares just to move them out of her house
Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM

It use to be that the rule of thumb, you should bring in 8 to 10 time what ever the show cost is. I only did that one. it is more like 4 or 5 times the show cost.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

bring what you have, and as customers pass by, ask what their request is. they may want what you have, and if they know you can do custom work, you may have a lot of customers. most people don't take orders. pick a few things you love to do, and don't take as much time or cost too much. go with what you have for now. good luck
Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 AM

My friends who have done craft shows have been disappointed with their sales. "Too much work for too little money," they say. The only person who does well transforms gourds into works of art. Check with someone who does craft shows before you get too much time and money invested. I hope it works out for you and you are the one who makes a million dollars. froggyintexa
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM

I do craft shows around the holidays and find that people like the smaller less expensive items. I sell lots of pot holders and scarves. Not a lot of quilts or table runners. I'm happy if I cover the cost of the booth plus a little extra as I do it mainly to spend time with my daughter who sells jewelry and to get rid of some of the stuff I make during the year.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM

I agree that small items would be best, that is what I look for when I go to a craft show ... maybe mug rugs, fabric postcards .. use up your scraps on hand, don't buy special fabrics for these kind of projects ..
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Your items must be unique enough to sell and also be creatively priced. I always think since I quilt/sew that " I can make that!" How many craft fairs have you been to where everything looks alike. One Arts and Crafts Fair I went to in Idaho had nothing but all the same pottery items, rod iron yard art and hanging chairs that were REALLY expensive. Probably about 50 booths.... I am not trying to discourage you, buy all means go and experience...check it off your bucket list... Just talk to lots of folks who work the Fairs for a living and get their PRO'S and CON'S. Best of luck !
Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 PM

Your first festival will be a trial & error. It will tell you what sells & what doesn't. It will also give you the opportunity to see what others make & how well things sell. Try to do things that are different from everyone else projects & keep the prices reasonable. Keep track of your cost to make items & then just add to that. Keeping prices down & selling is so much better than having high prices & not selling. The area of your craft Festival will also determine on pricing.