Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house... >

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 PM

After studying the pics, I would separate the metal storage units in the hall, making an additional storage area. I would try to find or build a bookcase, set back in. Put your shoe boxes and books on the bookcase. On the two sides then hang your rulers, etc. but keep them together. If the storage units are metal, get magnet hooks and hang a lot more stuff on all sides of the metal cabinets. Then make a small quilted valance and put it in the doorway so you can get to the storage but it will look a lot better. You could even hang small quilts onto the front of the metal units.
Then I would take all of your tables and place them all together in the middle of the room, hiding what you can beneath them but station your chairs so each station can be used, especially when your friends come. That way you have a larger working surface. Where you have the shelves above your comfy chair, hang a quilt but turn your chair a little to you can hem your quilts by the window. Get a small stand for your drinks and needed sewing items. Put your items in a cute basket or one of those cute boxes everyone is making. That should tidy up a bit but you will know where everything is. I would make cute valances for the windows to match the one in the doorway. Of course, these are just suggestions for you to consider. Make the room easy and pretty. You are the one using it. One easy idea I use is when cutting out pieces for a quilt, use paper plates to separate them, but then stack them up on your cutting table. Takes up less space but keeps them in order. Good luck in your endeavor. Have fun.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 PM

I've loved reading all the suggestions! Here's my two cents worth:
1. Re-paint: already noted, but I see you have a little red school chair. Make that your inspirational starting point. Maybe red and white checks would liven things up; or polka dots. Or flowers, or animal prints, or stripes, or an oversize quilt block graphic for the wall or painted on the floor.
2. no money for curtains? Maybe dye or fabric paint the ones you are currently using on the tables for a less costly color option. Or get a king-sized sheet at the thrift store, cut it up & make curtains etc. out of that.
3. Paint the pegboard in some bright color/s and/or paint the shapes of the tools on the pegboard for interest.
4. Old tins make attractive storage pieces and add visual interest as well. I buy tons of those at thrift stores for very little $$. I have several lunch boxes that I store things in too.
5. Make a quilted cover for your comfy chair and make it bright bright bright (perhaps Kaffee Fassett) fabrics.
6. Put up some inexpensive post cards or colorful magazine clippings around for inspiration and color.
7. Add pink! A big pink plastic box would give you something to look at! Decorate the outsides of the boxes you have on the shelves with pretty paper or coordinating fabrics.
8. Your chair height--how about a wooden pallet/platform (or even bricks) to put the chair on top of? That way you could be high enough to reduce fatigue.
9. Hang some twinkly Christmas lights or flag banners from the ceiling. Or ribbons...
10. Think like you're decorating for the little girl in you and see what ideas SHE has! Good luck and have fun, it's YOUR space!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 AM

Look at your room from a bird's perspective. Is there an area that could have been made into a closet? Ideally, this would go right across an end of the room. You could move the metal cabinets and your wall shelving/boxes up against this wall and hang a curtain right across that end of the room. Use the channel system they use in hospitals to hang curtains from the ceiling. This is cheaper than new furniture and I would bet you have some fabric to make a curtain out of - OR use a quilt or two. I love the amount of space you have, it's just cluttered for me and I would think you could relax and create better in a calmer space.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM

I did what Danece said & bought 4 cabinet sets (Habitat for Humanity Resale_$20) & painted white & put fabric behind doors! Love it & the white brightened my room! You have to keep checking & checking to get good deal! I just bought 3 very long cabinet doors(matching with hardware & knobs attached for $3) My hubby made shelves for them & boom I have cabinet for tall things(he made it with no back & put on wall where plugin was for cordless rechargable vacuum(love it) I think part of the fun is redoing your space from time to time as we are creative people & have that need & as we elvove you need different things & spaces for that time. Make some change in your room & you will be excited about it again!. Go girl!!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM

When I was perusing the photos - Too much stuff out makes me feel anxious.. Maybe you too since you do not find the room inspiring.

I leaned towards taking down some of the shelving on the walls. You have all the fabric organized in the boxes - so - put them into a different shelving situation - maybe hang those shelves in the foyer. I agree that you should also scale back the pegboard... Paint it a bright color - so even when your tools are hanging on it - the background pops. Finally - use the opened up wall space for designs.. Photos, collages of quilts you might like to tackle some day, even just a painting that sooths you. Paint the walls a soft buttery color... Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Ok, sticking my nose into this thread...I'm new here,well sorta,I've lurked on the board for years everyday,and finally joined this week. So excuse my butting in,and also I feel like a hypocrite since my quilting room is a mess right now, but here goes. I do not see you in this room. Strange statement since I don't know you,but I don't see you. Yes, this room speaks of work,with excellent things to work with,and wonderful supplies, but it does not speak of the personalty of you.It speaks of cold hard labor,industrial coldness.That is what spoke to me first before anything that would seem like clutter.I've seen thousands of photos of quilters,sewing rooms,crafts/art...be it spotless,or cluttered,and thread cuts,and bits of snippets of material on the floor,stacks of whatever everywhere...I first spot the things that speak of the true personality of that person above all else. That is what I see personally lacking.I know you said you noticed a quilt was missing from the photo,would that be the only thing of you in this room? I don't mean this offensive or anything of that nature.Maybe that is part of the "feeling" of dread to even work in the room, not just the feel of clutter.Maybe adding things that speak of you, your mind,feelings,creations of your own on display would help? Second, if I may continue to be bold some more, what bugs me(personally)is the type of shelving you have used. I balked, because it is what I thought it would have to come into my room also. Instead, I bought cheap bookcases,tall ones,that come from wallyworld, dollarstore type store.They are pressed board,fake oak look type. I used 2 up against the wall on one side of my room.They are something like 5'10 inchesx12 depth.I place one on either side of that wall with a gap in between. I then bought one 6ft.x1ftx1in.board from one of the "big box" store that is shelf board and laid that on top of each end of the bookcase to make an over head connection.Within that little alcove that was created between the cases,I put one of my tables.On it I even have another shorter pressed wood bookcase sitting on that table. I store my stuff in the plastic/lid tubs, so in the book cases are fabric stash,on top of the cases, and on the board that goes across, I have rolls of batting.One the small short one on that table itself, I store my threads, and even magazines,patterns. I only am mentioning my set up to say that the cheap bookcases works better for me than bracket shelves.Looks better to my eyes,and amazingly offered a good amount of space.Better than I thought at first. I got these for short term,very inexpensive, until I found the old hutches I had hoped to get. I don't know if I will ever do that now, for it works, and I'm happy with it. I said all this long winded ramble to say, maybe using one of these would work instead of the bracket shelf? I love the chair,it's a keeper for comfy sake, maybe more colorful fabric on the skirting of the tables to blend in slightly bolder or whatever your personality type to go with the chair.Color to the windows. Could be valance.or the type of valance that is draped scarf type that goes through ring type openings at the top of blinds or even change the color of the blinds. I really like the suggestions from the others who posted and I hope you don't mind me adding mine. I hope you find a very happy solution for you to comfort your heart/mind for your place.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Here are some photos of my sewing area. It looks so much more cluttered than yours. It really does work for me. My cutting table is a large plywood counter top (used it while my countertops were being fabricated for the kitchen). It sits on two dressers that we purchased from Farm & Field (I think that's the one). The side where my sewing machine is is blocked by my (antique library) table that I use to sew on. I cannot get into those 6 drawers unless I move my sewing table. I use those for scrap booking stuff and embroidery projects and floss that I do not use often.

My computer sit right behind or beside my sewing table. If I have to look at a YouTube or any other tutorial, it is right there and I just move over a few feet.

My husband cut me a large plywood board, which I covered and he attached it to my ironing board. My ironing board is probably 50 years old. It is great because it has a lever that allows me to set it at any height I want. When I am FMQ, I cover it with a plastic tarp, lower it and move it over to my sewing table to help hold my quilt.

The pegboard and my wicker divider I use to hold my small stuff. I like them out where I can see them because at my (76) age, I easily forget what I have and then duplicate it. I know! It looks messy but it is an organized mess and it works for me. Anyway, I think the photos you posted of your sewing room tops anything that I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458279[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewing Room.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	458279  

Last edited by littlebitoheaven; 01-23-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 PM

I really wish we had a "Like" button!

I'm keeping an open mind and love the comments.

One poster mentioned splitting the cabinets in the foyer and adding a bookcase. The cabinets are on casters and can be moved, however, there is a closet to the right that would not be able to open if I shifted them down.

I LOVE Kaffe Fassett fabrics.
So much so, I can't cut the ones I have.

I have a 6 year old that loves to stay with me while I sew.. she watches TV or does crafts.
That is her red-orange desk in the foreground. It was mine when I was a child. Looking forward to it going in the attic.
We bought her a Janome "Hello Kitty" machine for Christmas. She's almost finished her first quilt top.
I'll probably be looking at setting up an area for her to sew from time to time. Something multi-purpose..
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM

"I LOVE Kaffe Fassett fabrics.
So much so, I can't cut the ones I have. " Yep, guilty of this as well. There's quite a few of us fabric lovers who have this condition. I had to smile at the little one chugging away on "Hello Kitty" and wanted to say I am so proud of her working on her first quilt top. Wow! that's so impressive, and I know you are just as proud/excited as she. Good luck with your room.(had to paste your quote, the quote function wouldn't work this morning)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Default fabric is the walls

I have these cubicles put together with zip ties for my fabric. I love them. I also use black milk crates. My space is a working space and I could care less about if it looks feminine or sweet and the only color I want on my walls is a very soft white. I already have enough color and when I am working I do not want to be distracted trying to subconsciously match my project to the walls.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07946.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	857.5 KB
ID:	460009