Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wil never get it right >

I wil never get it right

I wil never get it right

Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 AM

I don't think my problem is my quarter inch sewing. I think it is my cutting. When you cut is the edge of your fabric right on the line (some rulers have thin lines and some have thick) or is your fabric a little over the line?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM

Thumbs up 1/4" seam

For about 70 of my 72 yrs quilting, I too, used everything except a 1/4" foot. Changed machines, had the foot, put it on and everything I pieced came out correct!!! Surprise to me!! I always thought the outside of my foot or wherever I put the needle, sometimes even measured, was correct. WRONG!!!
Fancy new gadgets? Yep, some work all the time, some don't work at all. I am beginning to think it is all frame of mind. LOL
Phyllis
84 yrs in Oregon now
72 yrs quilting "
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
I agree with Tartan - consistency is better than precision for the vast majority of situations. If you plan on putting your quilt with star points into a judged show, then you can worry more about the precise quarter inch...but you can also find other ways to make it work.
Consider making any block that has points slightly larger than called for, then trimming to size? That is what Eleanor Burns does on her show and if it is good enough for her, it is good enough for me. Watch a few of her videos on her site and you will see her method.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM

I've been quilting for 30 years and I still can't get a consistant 1/4 in seam. Oh well. I just go with it.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM

If I want to spray starch my fabric (StaFlo 50/50 mixture) and iron right away, I iron a big strip of freezer paper on my ironing board to catch the over spray plus I spray the BACK of my fabric/block to eliminate flaking. I've left the freezer paper on for a long time now. When it gets too gunky I'll remove and iron on another strip.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM

I almost quit sewing after much frustration finding the perfect 1/4". It took me a while to realize my fixed needle position on my old Kenmore is a hair to the right of center. In a Bonnie Hunter class she has everyone start by making sure their seam is a perfect 1/4". She also sells a small plastic gizmo that you lower your needle into and shows the perfect 1/4 fabric edge alignment- it's about $3. She sells them on her website Quiltville.com. On my Brother machine the needle position is perfect. I also found a snap on 1/4" foot at JoAnns which is very good. It is Inspira 1/4" piecing foot #21019, about $5. Sometimes they also have a low shank foot adapter for machines that don't use snap on feet, or they are available on the internet for about $8. The foot won't work on my Kenmore because the needle can't be centered, but I use blue masking tape to mark the correct fabric edge position. I prewash all my fabric and just use a light coating of spray starch. It really makes sewing fun again!

Last edited by Monroe; 01-23-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM

I think it is more important to do the patchwork than to do it with military seam allowances. It is always possible to add extra fabric if it is too small or chop off a bit that's too big. Don't be put off!! When you look at people we all have these differences too!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Some of the tips I have tried. I only make quilts for family/friends and charities. Doing those quilts has always given me pleasure and I don't stress about errors.

It's just that I wanted to join a swap and I feel that I need to get that qtr inch seam a bit 'more perfect'.
Thanks again. There is so much encouragement and good will on this board...it's a pleasure to be here.

tapper
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Tapper, I've been in several swaps on this board. It's for fun. Don't get freaked out by it all. I've received blocks that were less than perfect and I couldn't care less. Everyone does their best. If the blocks are way off, I just sew borders around them and set them wonky.
I love your answer. I also have wanted to participate in a swap but felt my blocks wouldn't be "up to snuff". You have made me feel a lot better and I may get the courage to participate in one now! Thank you!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Dina, I have the quarter inch foot with the black piece of metal hanging down. I found that it was wobbly and the quarter inch seams weren't accurate, so I put a teeny piece of fabric between the rod across the foot and the clamp that snaps onto it. That did the trick. The foot was tight as a drum and didn't wobble anymore. I've never seen any other quarter inch foot. I'll have to check it out, thanks.