Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that? >

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Gramma, How do you think of stuff like that?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM

Ah, the first snowfall. I would run outside, turn my face skyward and wait for the flakes to hit me. The next morning I would beg Oma to throw me into the piles of snow neighbors had shoveled on the sidewalk infront of the sandstone houses. In summertime we would dig 'forts' into the river banks. To protect us from being burnt from our fires inside our fort, we would soak the lid of a cardboard suitcase in the river before using it as a screen. How about hop scotch, roller scates, sand piles at building sites?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:41 PM

I remember my dad taking us to the park to go ice skating, sledding and skiing down a "bunny hill" with no lifts, just leg power to the top. Have great pictures of my dad in his 50's snow outfit. We take our granddaughters sledding and pull them behind a snowmobile in our fields. I was just commenting to my DH the other day that I wonder if they will have fond memories of these days when they get older. I know I will.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Having grown up in Houston, when it did snow (every 13 years) I almost froze to death. No clothes or shoes for this type of weather. Now in Colorado and if find my hands don't like making snowballs at all.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 PM

I sure do remember having that kin of fun. I wish that kids and parents would realize how important sunshine and exercise is to a growing youth. There is just too much computer and games and texting and on and on. I know we have to be cautious and keep our safe, but don't parents have some time to spend with their kids?