Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon >

Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon

Studio in Basement? At Last My Post Sandy Studio is on the Horizon

Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 AM

I can not imagine the loss of my home, let alone my sewing room. I am so happy your seeing light at the end of what must have been a long dark tunnel. Enjoy your new home and sewing room, and make something beautiful!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 AM

Hi Krystyna: I had to sign in and comment! 1. Yeah! The end of Sandy is in sight.(We just had our Sandy damage - the kitchen ceiling- fixed) 2. New Home: I grew up with a New Home treadle in the house (my grandmother's). Used it to upholster the seats of my first car in bright canvas (crazy looking, it was!) 3. My sewing area is in the basement too; and I love it!! Lots of space, lots of shop lights and I did have two larger windows put in when we built, so I do have natural light and a couple plants. It only has one heat vent, but that suits me too - I'm at that time of life when I'm a degree warmer than hubby is, and I love wearing comfortable sweats around the house. I can leave a project out and bother no one. I can clean it up for a play/activity space for the grands when they come to visit. I leave the dehumidifier on only in the warm months - we don't seem to need it in the winter. Hubby set it to drain into the furnace system which vents out the water automatically. GO FOR IT!! and happy house to you all!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 AM

Krystyna,
It has been 15 months since our home was hit by Sandy and it is still not repaired. Wind damage to the roof and structural problems in the support beams of the house..not to mention the water damage from the flood itself. I have not been able to touch my quilting for all this time because my sewing space on the 2nd floor of the house is now covered with boxes and things from other parts of the house that had to have a home while the house was repaired. And we wait and wait to get things done at a snails pace. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in the amount of time it has taken to put your life back together. There are alot of us "out there" that are still working towards where you have arrived. Best of luck to as you set up your new quilting space and take a breath and are able to feel settled in your new home. Your story gives me hope!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM

Check that basement for radon....at least here in ilinois that is a problem. Before we bought we have always had that as part of home inspection before signing.....both times seller had to correct due to dangerous levels......I work in basement...no problems.........
Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Congrats!!! I have a basement but do not have my sewing room there. My husband keeps alot of gutiars and recording equipment there and it is fine.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:57 AM

yea!! Congrats!!
Since spring is just around the corner (hoping), it might be a good idea to wait until a good thaw/rain to make sure there is no seepage before you start moving stuff in. Or at the very least wait on things like carpet/rugs and wood furniture that would get ruined in the wet and keep stuff "up" as much as possible.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Banned

K,
Congrats on the new home.
Sounds like it is going to be a great place for you to sew.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Hi Krystna
I'm so glad you are finally moving ahead. Are you still on the island?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 AM

So glad to hear about your new room. My sewing studio and my DH's library are both in the basement, so we keep the dehumidifier on and drained. His books are just fine and so is my fabric stash- never a damp smell or mold issue. Go for it. Have fun setting up your new space.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:39 AM

Congratulations on your new home. Have fun setting up that sewing room.