Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you have to the right of your sewing machine? >

What do you have to the right of your sewing machine?

What do you have to the right of your sewing machine?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM

I continue to learn from everyone here. It has been determined that I HAVE to have one of those Staples Mesh turny-things (why in the world didn't I think of that sooner?), I need enough room on the right of the sewing machine to stack blocks I'm working on (currently they reside on my lap, they fall, get out of order, frustrate me, waste time, you get the picture) AND I need to add a TV to my room! DH is so cute a few hours after "putting it out there" that he was willing to do this project, he came up into my room and said, "You know, we might not always be in this house" - I guess he was thinking, why build it if we are going to move (we have no plans for doing so, by the way). My response? Built it so it's easy to take apart. He's found some youtube videos and a place where he can buy plans for a table. I like the plans, but the table needs to be bigger, and some stuff needs to be moved around. He hasn't even built the thing and I'm telling him to change it!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

I have the cutting mat to the left which pushes the machine close enough to the edge that I don't keep anything to the right of it. Plus, when I need more space in the cutting area, I like to turn my machine to the side. If I have anything on the right, I might knock that off the table.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Hahaha, my first thought was, "a big mess!" I actually have more space on the right of my sewing machine than I do on the left, so I have scissors, pins, needles, thread, bobbins, a big ol' basket of notions, and a pile of jeans waiting to be cut up into squares for a jeans quilt. But my sewing table is L-shaped so I also have my serger on the other end to the right (around the corner) of my sewing machine. I also have a lamp (that I hardly ever use), and an ink pad rack (I just couldn't find anywhere else to put it). So yeah it's basically a big mess! I think if I ever got that jeans quilt done it'd be a slightly smaller mess though.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 AM

I have a really small sewing table but the best thing about it - IMO - is the fact that I have 5 drawers on that side! I keep my snips/needle threaders/etc. in the top drawer, except when they are in use (which is most of the time) and can keep the extra bobbins/etc. that everyone else has next to their machines in the drawers for easy access as I'm right handed. Next to my machine I have some thread storage boxes, pin cushion, boxes of straight and safety pins and a few spools of thread that I haven't bothered to put away. My extra feet live in the free arm section of my machine made for that purpose. My cutting table is right behind me so sewn blocks/strips get thrown there as they are done. Beverage is on a table separate from machine as I don't want to take a chance on spilling. I do use a small folding tv tray when needed for a pressing/cutting surface when working on pp'ing or the like that I put to the right of my machine.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

Let's see, I have my extra bobbins, all those little tools we use to make sewing easier, my coffee cup, my coke and a bag of cough drops.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 AM

Tall spool thread holder. I use it vs. the thread spool holder on the machine. Misc. thread spools, etc. I have about 6 inches to the right.
Sandy
Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 AM

I don't have anything, as my machine is in a cabinet, but everything is on the left. I am able to turn my chair, and iron, play on the computer, and tickle the dog with my toes, as his dog house is under the 6' x3' table. If I have to cut, I have to get off my behind..
Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 AM

about 6 inches of coffee cup or tea glass space and a window beyond that
Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 AM

Default Serging a quilt top

Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
all you can get.LOL. you never have enough room for tools and extra's I even have a table with wire baskets to hold scraps at the end of my table .. righ not I have 4 tables and my cutting table and wish i had room for more. you need to have extra room for you serger also as you will use it a lot. I make an entire quilt top using the serger.. and have 4 sewing machines set up all the time plus my embroidery machine and a 72" long narrow table set up to hold my studio die cutter.. and shelves out the wazoo, and cabinets and cabinets of fabric. I have outgrown the 2 car garage.. If i ever get the space and can design my own quilting room it will be HUGE..
I am curious how you piece a quilt top with a serger
SVAL
Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 AM

I only have things that I am currently using to the right of my machine which would be a pin cushion with pins and needles, small scissor for clipping thread, a small ruler to measure seams, thread. I have a waste basket on the floor for clippings. Anything else I have stored elsewhere. My scissors I have on a long piece of ribbon so I can hook them on the extra spindle of the machine so that if they fall off the table they won't hit the floor and ruin the point on the scissors. The ribbon is long enough so I can use the scissors at the machine but shorter than the distance of the table to the floor. If I want to use the scissors when I'm doing hand work they go around my neck so I don't lose them in the couch cushions. My family also knows that if they see a pair of scissors with any ribbon on them to leave them alone. If I didn't do this they would be used to cut things other than fabric. I have ribbon on all my scissors but shorter pieces on the large scissors I use to cut out patterns etc.