Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM

Krista, it looks like you're struggling with your squares like I am with my OBW hexis. I don't have any trouble sewing but figuring out how to align them to get the look I want is another matter. I'm taking apart the hexis that I had sewn together so I can start over on the design board. Good luck with yours.... keep us posted.

Yes, quiltinglady, come join us. I can't speak for everyone else but I can tell you I'm having a great time getting my UFOs finished. I have only 3 at this point and am hoping to be down to 2 this time next month.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Love the obw! I sew want to make one! Have the fabric! Just need the time, etc.
Love the jewel tones! I agree, add some citrine , and how about a dark charcoal, med grey additions ? It's going to be stunning!
welcome, new members! Can't wait to see your goodies!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Krista, I agree with a yellow or orange (and I hate orange) color to make it better. Oh, hurt me! It would mean a trip to the stash or, better yet, a visit to the fabric store. You have 4 center colors, so if you add one more to make 5, it'll look better, because it will follow artist's rules of using odd numbers. Also, the large color blocks are what catch my eye. So, i'm wondering if there's a way to place them so they look good, but don't "take over." You have a gorgous start, hope you keep going.

So, on my home front, I finished the binding on the "Take Five" I posted earlier. So now I'm finishing one of Paintmejudy's mysteries. Not enough fabric (and let's face it...desire to get it done) limited how big I made it. So showing it to my mother was a mistake, as the comments were, "Is that all the bigger it will be? How will it be used?" Well, my, oh my! Anyway, I'm working on SID today hope to get this finished this week. Cheers to all of you UFO finishers!! This thread is helping me. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 AM

Wow, what an inspiring bunch of quilters you all are!!!! It's still January and the finishes are just pouring in. Amazing!!

The OBW is going to be beautiful, I love the fabric and think you will be happy with the redo. Somehow having things at an angle just seems to please the eye in these things.

I think elisabrat hit the nail on the head with her suggestion. Putting the reds in one corner, then tapering with the small blocks into the purples, then the blues and last the greens in the opposite bottom corner... a semi-rainbow effect... well worth trying on the design board to see if it pleases your eye. In my mind it's quite attractive! LOL
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 AM

Krista: Just a few half baked ideas. I don't think there are enough variation in colors. I like the idea of bringing some of the warmer shades into the quilt, and maybe some light and medium colors to brighten it up. Another idea is to insert some irregular slices of a light color between the blocks. Kind of like the blue design wall but not necessarily that color.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Krista: I don't know if this is helpful at all, but when I first looked at your blocks it reminded me of things disintigrating/changing - starting out with the big blocks and moving down the quilt diagonally, making the blocks smaller. Does that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say, but getting it out is another thing. Good start though!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 AM

nanna - love the OBW. Very rich colors.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 PM

Well I finally have something to share...it isn't finished and wasn't exactly a ufo, but...

I've had a jelly roll (20 strips) sitting around for almost 2 years that I used to make one baby quilt, I have plans to make another one too in a different pattern. I had a procedure done on my elbow a couple weeks ago so my sewing/cutting is pretty limited for another 4 weeks so thought something easy would give me a "quilting fix".

I just cut all the strips in half, did a "jelly roll race" quilt, then cut it in 3rds and added the yellow to make it closer to square.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	459685   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	459686  
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 PM

Carriem, how cute and cheerful is your top! Makes be smile and feel like this winter may actually end someday when I look at it. So glad you are able to be at the machine for a bit till your arm gets fully healed.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

NOw that's thinking outside the "roll", carrie! Take it easy, ok?