Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you have to the right of your sewing machine? >

What do you have to the right of your sewing machine?

What do you have to the right of your sewing machine?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 AM

I wish I had something to the right of my machine... in reality, I have 2 machines on my workspace, the left hand machine is the Brother I use to piece with, and would love to have more things in reach on the right. Currently between the machines is my largest cutting mat. The machine on the right, is a Singer, that I have set up to use the walking foot on. There is NO room to the right of that machine...
Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 AM

I have my ironing board set to the height of my machine and tables. I press as I sew and don't have to get up and "go to" the ironing board.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 AM

Along with some sewing notions I have a lamp to the right of my sewing machine. Couldn't sew without it.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 AM

Scissors...my drink mat....
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM

I am left handed so there is nothing but junk on the right side. Patterns I've finished, left over bits of binding and boarder strips, mistake blocks. It just keeps piling up, until I can't stand it anymore. LOL.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM

I put my iron and ironing space to the right of my sewing machine so that I can press the pieces as I sew. Makes it convenient so that I can just keep sewing. Of course, I have my sewing notions there too so I like a lot of space to the right as well as to the left of the machine.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
since I am left handed the only thing to the right is the thread spool.everything else is to the left

Me too!! I think being lefty is best for quilters/ sewers. That might be the only time!!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM

My DH is going to make my sewing cabinet too. I have ordered two 27" high cabinets. The one on the right has a drawer with a door under it with two slide out shelves. I use the little basket organizers to hold scissors, needles, etc. There will be 24" on the right. I want room to lay out the pieces for my blocks. He's going to make the top, white formica, with cut out for my machine. The top can overhang the cabinets 10" to the side and back. Of course I'm waiting for him to finish working on his 66 Fairlane!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM

A small ironing board and an iron. I do a lot of pressing for paper piecing and it s much easier not to have to get up constantly.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

I will admit it - I am very, very spoiled. My DH made a really big, beautiful sewing table for me several years ago. To answer your question, though, directly to the right of my sewing machine I have a small shallow basket 9" X 6" X 2") that holds my most-used notions (pin cushion, small scissors, seam ripper, 6" Omnigrid ruler, stilleto, and plastic thread catcher. It's small enough to carry to the sofa and upstairs or outside (in summer) for hand work away from the sewing studio.
I also have an Ott light and a large mug for tall things I don't use too often, such as long tweezers, pencils, etc. I also have room for the case for the attachments for my Bernina machine. All the other "requirements" are in drawers to the left and right of my machine.
I hope you come up with the perfect space for yourself. It makes a huge difference to your comfort.