Is Anybody Else Cold!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM

I can agree with cold. I am in the Twin Cities area of MN.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM

I am also from MN and had the -45 degree windchill last week, --we left and are heading for AZ ,hope we likeit, it's our first time to run away from home because of the weather.But have had enough. And besides there is a AQS Quilt show in AZ. Extra bonus.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 AM

I have two Eden pure heaters. You can drag them around to where ever you are. I love them.

Marcia
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
How is everyone coping with the cold and snow? I would like to quilt but my room so cold that I end up trying to find something else to do but so far can't find another interim hobby as interesting. I am really getting frustrated. Suggestions?
I have it all figured out......have been doing this for years. And, Redbreast, you will probably get snow tomorrow, cuz we're getting up to 6" here today in St. Paul. I am iin the throes of Spring Cleaning....working slow, making sure I have the afternoon free for sewing and enjoying a nice glass of Tawny Port (try it)!!!! By the time this cold, frigid, unlivable, slippery, bone breaking weather is over, our Spring cleaning will be done and we can sit out on the deck or patio, and listen to the birds, watch the dandelions come up, see if Fred the Fly made it through the winter (the first fly in the house after winter) and have a clean house for the spring and summer and you kept nice and warm working your little butt off!!!!!!!!

Got my cupboards cleaned, a new shower put in the bathroom, am planning on having a deck put up outside the front door. Then I can sit out there, watch the sun come up and have a cup of coffee in the morning. It also is a good time to put up some meals for the freezer when it is too hot to cook! Zap it and you're set.

We, in the Midwest, do not cope - we make lemonade!!!!! Out of lemons!!!!!! I am saving the best for last and that is going through all my fabric and get everything organized after a winter of buying fabric and planning what is next on the agenda. Have a good day, Redbreast. This, too, shall pass. You can't have spring without winter. March is 1-1/2 months away. Daylight savings time starts March 23 I believe. Hey, it's almost over and we'll have our Spring cleaning done before you know it. Make it a good day. Edie
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 AM

I have the oil filled heater that was suggested. They are wonderful. They look like little radiators. I sew in a small bedroom. Before I start, I turn the heater on for a bit and I'm ready to rock and roll. It gets so nice and cozy that I often have to turn the heater to 1/2 on or shut off all together.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=Carol Wilson;6542317]Here in Melbourne Australia we are going through a heatwave over 40 degrees (110 Celcius), our heatwaves are lasting many days with bushfires that have been burning for weeks.

Send some snow over our way.[/QUOTE

I live in Texas, we get summer weather like yours, Carol. 2 years ago central Texas had wild fires, thankfully they weren't near me. I had many friends that lost everything, so sad. We're enduring a severe drought, haven't had hardly any rain this winter and not much in the Fall either.
If the colder areas sent you some snow it would only melt. Sorry had to put a bit of humor in there. Its been much colder this year than we usually get, the electric space heaters just don't keep the house warm enough. I just opened the electric bill, it was $400, I nearly fainted. I sew with a treadle machine, so at least that doesn't add anything to the electric bill.
Sharon in Texas,USA
Sharon
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I love winter, but I'm one of those who really doesn't get cold. I hate sweating -- when it is hot there are only so many clothes you can take off!
Me too! Every since hot flashes, my heat tolerance has really plummeted! I can't believe is used to lie on the beach for hours. Now I can only stand a little heat. I'm LOVING this winter!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Buy a dish heater from Costco...They are great and use minimal electric...I have had one in my sewing room this last week because it has been so cold here in the south..
Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 AM

I lived in the Midwest, and when I think back I wonder how we did it. Got 4 kids ready in snow suits, mittens, and boots. Took them with me to the store. Oh, I know how I did it. I was young. LOL We have been in FL for over 30 yrs., and this week I've been wearing a tee shirt and sweat shirt. Then when I go outside I put on 2 more sweat shirts. I saw the forecast for the rest of the week :today high maybe 40, but by Sat 80.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

We have had some unusually cold weather this year. I expect our summer will be very hot, we had a cooler than normal summer last year.
My room is an add on and has an electric heater built in the wall. The first year we used it many years ago it was very expensive, we don't use that one.
We have a radiator type heater that I use out there, I keep it barely on and it heats real well. My sewing room does get some heat from the kitchen, it is off of that with a utility room in between. I don't get real cold and always working on a quilt while I'm out there. I stay nice and warm, I don't wear long sleeves, I wear socks and shoes and that is enough for me.

Last edited by Jingle; 01-30-2014 at 08:12 AM.