Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Eleanor Burns book should I buy? >

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by calicoquilter View Post
Another good Eleanor Burns book is Still Stripping after 25 years.
I hated that book! It was the first EB book I purchased, and I felt that there was way too much information about her private life. It took me a long time to get another one of her books because of that. I finally bought Egg Money Quilts and like it. I think she's a lovely lady and a great quilter, fun to watch, but I find her quilts slightly boring. Her books are so detailed they're great for beginners.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I learned to quilt many years ago with the log cabin quilt in a day book. It was the days before rotary rulers and you tore the strips! How fun that was. I still have that book even though I don't think I ever will use it again.

I have about six more of hers and a pattern that makes autumn leaves that has a ruler to square them up that comes with it.

She is a sweet and gracious person and many people who have met her speak highly of her. I used to watch her show on PBS.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM

I thought I had seen most of her quilting videos until I discovered the ones she did at some ranch home for Christmas. She made some beautiful Christmas stockings and a table runner.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I knew her name and that she has a lot of books, and lots of quilters like her, but I never checked her out. Had no reason to. So glad I did today. I wish I would have tried her flying geese method years ago. I have a hard time with FG. Her way seems easy. I just put in my cart her small flying geese ruler. I'm reading about her different books. But so far I think I'm going to find the Egg Money quilt book. Thanks to you who helped me. And thanks for not making me feel stupid that I didn't know anything about her. I was afraid to ask this question because I was afraid I would look a fool.
You definitely took the high road. You're a great person!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 PM

Anyone know where her flying geese video is? I'd like to view it because I've got a quilt coming up that has lots of them in it and I would love any tips she has
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 PM

I have her Log Cabin Book and wouldn't part with it for anything. I want her Egg Money Book when I can get it for the right price.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 PM

If you're looking for a number of quilts and detailed instructions, try Still Stripping After All These Years. I have it and I love it. It shows you easier ways to do the same blocks.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM

her irish chain quilt book is the first quilting I had done with a rotary cutter. and it got me back into quilting as I was thinking about retiring. that was about 13 yrs ago. haven't stopped since. l have several of her books, and no I did not know her site had videos you could watch. she is the best. I saw her program on t.v. where her granddaughter was featured sewing a quilt. she was about 10-12 yrs old, I believe. that is sooo cool. passing it on to the next generation. that is the way to get them hooked. start them young sewing.

I THINK WE ALL SHOULD SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT ELEANOR BURNS.

Last edited by sewNso; 01-29-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 AM

I too made my first quilt with her Log cabin Quilt in a Day book. I don't have but have seen a book with mainly quilting tips in it I think it is called something like Its EL-ementary and has school type items on the cover. I live in North Dakota and her sister comes every summer to a local quilt shop for a group get together and trunk show of her books and quilts.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 AM

I love Eleanor Burns. I have many of her books and rulers. My daughter, who sews some, says anyone who can sew a straight 1/4 inch seam can make a quilt following Eleanor Burns books. You will enjoy her methods, epically her flying geese.
D