Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrid Auto Shut Off >

Horrid Auto Shut Off

Horrid Auto Shut Off

Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
If you are interested Rowenta makes the Focus. It doesn't have an auto shutoff. I just ordered one from Hancock's, they are on sale. I haven't recieved it yet so I can't tell how I lilke it but I hate an iron with an auto shutoff too.
Annie, Thank you. I will check into that one on Hancock's web site. I sure will welcome an iron that will stay on. I purchased the Oliso because it got hotter than most irons which was another thing I did not like about most irons. When you try to iron the wrinkles out of denim for example it takes a hotter iron.
Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM

Dunster, thank you I will check that one out too. Do you have one of those? If so does it get really hot for ironing tougher fabrics like denim?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I read this trick to fool the auto shut off from another poster. Keep the nose of the iron pointed down. I found a wedge shape iron stand and that keeps the nose of the iron pointed down when not in use. It keeps the shut off from engaging. Of course this probably won't be possible for the Oliso iron.

Thanks Onebyone, I will give this a try. I have one of those kinds of ironing boards. I will go right now and check this out.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

watch those Rowenta irons quilters. there have been many posting here and on other forums about them catching fire. mine blew out my power cord. tossed it!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I have one like that and heard this same trick. My iron rest is one of those silicone pads with nubs. I found a piece of wood in my DH shed shaped like a wedge and big enough to hold my iron. So far so good.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I read this trick to fool the auto shut off from another poster. Keep the nose of the iron pointed down. I found a wedge shape iron stand and that keeps the nose of the iron pointed down when not in use. It keeps the shut off from engaging. Of course this probably won't be possible for the Oliso iron.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 AM

I tried the nose down on the iron and it does not work. It shut off as usual. Guess I will start shopping for another iron. I want to find one that will get very hot, steam and not shut off so the search is on.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM

I think I will go with the Reliable v100 unless someone has a better idea. Has anyone tested the difference between the v100 and v200?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 AM

I have the Reliable. The Orange One. Don't know the model. It is great. I too was tired of my iron always being off when I wanted it to be ready to use.
The one I have has a steam generator. So it makes a noise when using steam. At first it was a bit disconcerting. But it's a great iron. I tried several really cheap irons to avoid the auto shut off feature. They kept blowing the breaker. So that's a scary thought.
I've had it about a year and had no problems with it at all.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 AM

I love auto shut off. All I have to do is jiggle it and it heats up within seconds. It's a Semco and is cord free. I don't have to worry if I've left it on when I go shopping. It turns off if it's left sitting for 12 minutes. I picked it up for $19.95 on special.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 AM

I refuse to let my iron rile me. I just plunk it down flat, set it back on it's heel and in a very short time, it is hot enough again to get with it.