Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Converted to Liquid Starch >

Converted to Liquid Starch

Converted to Liquid Starch

Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I always wash finished quilts, so there is no starch residue. Love this method. Will try it next time that I have a pile of fat quarters or small pieces to starch. I have 2 and 2 1/2 gal zip locks that I use for blocks and scrap sorting that will work great for this! Thanks for the idea!
i wash all of mine so that I can make sure nothing 'let's go' during washing. It is my double check for boo boos. I can fix any problems before it is given. I also like to see my quilts 'bloomed' after all the starch is gone and the fabric is softer.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by collady View Post
My grandmother always starched her fabric with liquid starch. She had a cloth bag that she would put the wet, starched fabric in and then placed it in her icebox. She would leave it there for several hours and then iron. She said the cold made the starch stick to the fabric and not flake when she ironed. I have never tried that, but this thread reminded me and I just might.
This made me smile, it was the way I was taught to treat real linen when preparing to iron. Back when men wore true linen suits, the icebox was often filled with clothes at my grandmother's house. I love the smell of Niagara non aerosol starch but it doe not stiffen just irons out hard seams. I will definitely try the liquid starch approach next time I get a limp fat quarter set.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM

I have never used starch much, but am very interested. I saw where you said you washed "a pile" of batiks and soaked in 2 cups liquid starch. I feel my questions will sound terribly stupid . . . but I'd like more details. What size bag? Did you close it and lay it somewhere for a while? Or . . . did you squish the fabric around to get it t evenly absorb. ????????????? Guess I am dense, but I simply don't know what to do. I am fearful that if I try it without more confidence in what I'm doing that I will abandon what might be a wonderful help to me. Thanks in advance or offered suggestions/comments.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I love starch and always starch my fabric and blocks but find it impossible to buy in my part of Canada. I have my daughter and friend buy me starch every time they head to the States (I've had a couple of funny questions from border crossing security when they saw my boxes of starch!) and now I have a little Starch hoard that I share with my quilting buddies (I gave all my Stitch and Share friends starch for Valentine's Day). I love the non aerosol Niagara Spray starch and was recently sent ironing starch by Oxford and Wells from Texas which is also a marvelous product. I just wish that I could buy starch in Canada!
Wondering why Canada is so far behind the rest of the Quilting world re " starch "
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Madgie Rae View Post
I have never used starch much, but am very interested. I saw where you said you washed "a pile" of batiks and soaked in 2 cups liquid starch. I feel my questions will sound terribly stupid . . . but I'd like more details. What size bag? Did you close it and lay it somewhere for a while? Or . . . did you squish the fabric around to get it t evenly absorb. ????????????? Guess I am dense, but I simply don't know what to do. I am fearful that if I try it without more confidence in what I'm doing that I will abandon what might be a wonderful help to me. Thanks in advance or offered suggestions/comments.
Dont feel dumb cause Ii was wondering some of the same, never used liq starch only spray starch
Old 02-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
i wash all of mine so that I can make sure nothing 'let's go' during washing. It is my double check for boo boos. I can fix any problems before it is given. I also like to see my quilts 'bloomed' after all the starch is gone and the fabric is softer.
I should have mentiond that I also use liquid starch in a small dish, (doll china, or ceramic tea bag holder) and a small square soft paint brush to paint the edges of appliqué to iron the edges smooth and sharp for sewing down, since I can't seem to make nice rounded edges using needle turn. I learned to do it from a McCalls video on Youtube. I am a klutz with some things, like needle turn appliqué. :-D
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

I like the idea of starching in a plastics bag..........will have to try the Linit Liquid Starch.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 PM

i use liquid starch also. i just use 1 cup starch in 5 cups of water and use in a spray bottle when i iron fabrics before i start to cut. saves alot of money!