Smart TV?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 AM

Buy the latest technology you can afford, even if you don't think you will use it right away. Otherwise, you have an obsolete TV before it even leaves the store!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 AM

We got a smart tv and an antenna because we were tired of paying for cable. It's just great! We get lots of local channels,and can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and anything that is online, such as Sewing With Nancy and Downton Abbey on PBS.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Yes. I use mine a lot to watch you tube sewing shows.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 AM

I have a smart TV and love it for watching Craftsy and YouTube on a large screen.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Maybe it's already out there but I'm waiting on the tv that you just flash the screen on a bare wall from a computer where you don't have to worry about special attachments on the wall.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM

we have a smart tv, no one ca the voice commands except the dogs! They turn it ion & off all the time. They can also change the volume!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

My niece said many of her friends connect the internet cable going to a router with a splitter to the tv. Instant smart tv. I don't know all the details but teens can figure out all the ways. I use Roku and it works great on our regular tvs. No buffering at all unless it's HBO. That channel is finicky.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM

We have always gone with the biggest, big and most expensive..unforturnately. I will say that our 62" Samsung has lasted along time, as long as my husband can keep replacing the color wheel and bulb. We have replaced three bulbs (so the picture shows up on the screen) and two color wheels. They are small parts, but play a big role in getting the picture on the screen. We have had this TV for 26 years, beautiful picture....HD. Now we are considering getting the LED smart TV. My hubby came in yesterday and said,....since technology was changing on these televisions so fast with 3D (waiting on this one until you don't have to wear the glasses). etc. He thinks he has decided to get the best unsmart TV and use our Smart "boxes"....hoolu, Xbox etc for streaming Netflix. He said we can change out the plug in units with all of the features you want and your television doesn't have to stay up with the changing features. So we will see. He does have a point. we have all these other "things" we plug into our TV that do all the Smart things they have now put in the television. He said he wants a good solid television that will last, doubt he will get one to last 26 years. Samsung has been a good one.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM

We bought a smart tv about three weeks ago and love the ability to watch Netflix shows with no ads! It does a few other things that we have not yet explored as it is smarter than we are. Our daughter-in-law introduced us to it and we have watched very little regular tv except for the news since. Try it, you will like it!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 PM

We bought a smart TV last fall when we needed to replace our old TV. To be honest...we haven't used a single feature on it. But, we have it in case we ever do want to try something different with it. You might as well go ahead and get a smart TV...if you don't, someday you may wish you had.