Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrid Auto Shut Off >

Horrid Auto Shut Off

Horrid Auto Shut Off

Old 02-02-2014, 06:52 AM

I always buy an iron with auto shut off. I am afraid I will leave it on. My sewing room is upstairs so occasionally it is a couple of days until I go back up there. I also installed a smoke detector in the room for the same reason. Even when it shuts off it heats up so fast I am not bothered by it. I have made it a habit to check it as I am finishing up sewing to turn it back on.
I do need a new iron as mine is starting to leak. GRRRRRRR! I have not had good luck with Rowenta. I might try a Reliable next. DO they ever go on sale??
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 AM

My iron with the boiler does not shut off and I too worry about leaving it on. My solution is to put on a cheap plastic bracelet when i turn the iron on. It is a bracelet that I would never wear normally and so if i see that on my wrist I know that my iron is still on. I have another small iron beside my sewing machine and it too has a bracelet sitting with it. I often have these 2 bracelets on my arm! This has saved me many times.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:00 AM
DJ

I had an Oliso that was way past warranty that wouldn't auto shut off and I wanted it to. I called the company that had sold it to me, and they sent me a new one when I returned the old one. I only had to pay postage to return the old one. I couldn't believe it! Anyway, the new one now doesn't always shut off now, so I'm just trying to remember to manually shut it off. Not that any of that helps you...just thought you might want to call the place you bought it from. Maybe they can help. Cheaper irons don't always have auto shut off.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM

I really hate the shut off on my iron when I am sewing but as I am older and more forgetful I need it for safety reasons. I had a friend in my teens who lost her home in a fire because of a forgotten left on iron.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM

I like an iron that stays on when I am sewing but have occaisionally forgot and left it on after I left the room. I plug my iron into a power strip, easier to turn on by the strip switch. I also have a fairly bright nite light plugged into the power strip and it has been my reminder to turn off the iron. At one time I had a radio plugged into power strip to remind me. Lotta best wishes to all of you on the quilt board pages and thanks for the many great ideas you have shared
Old 02-02-2014, 01:17 PM

I have purchased Oliso iron but have not used it yet. I forgot to turn off my iron several times. Now I have it on the on /off switch for the main lights. Has been a life saver.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:35 PM

I, also use a power strip, but have lamps along with an iron with an auto shut off plugged into it. I rely on my auto shut off because I've had that kind so long that it is a habit to use it w/o worrying if I shut it off after I leave the house. But, I have sewing friends who dislike them very much indeed. I am on the lookout for an old timey, solid plate iron for pressing so there are no imprints of steam holes in my quilt pieces and it would just be a special use iron not my main iron.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments and helpful suggestions. I did some searching for the Reliable V100 and see it is actually offered at Wall Mart, K Mart, Home Depot, Jo Anns Fabrics and many other places. I was surprised to see that Amazon was the highest priced for it. You can find it for 139.00 at many places. Maybe some of you can find it for a better price in your areas. I can see why many of you like the auto shut off feature but I think it is a great nuisance. And my iron takes about 3 minutes to heat back up so you can see why I hate the darned thing. The power strip is a great idea. Most of them have a little light on them so when turning off the light and leaving the room you can see if it is still on. Also the Silicone No Burn Iron Rest Pad is a good idea to prevent fires. Thanks again everyone, your thoughts and suggestions have helped me.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 PM

I found a silicone iron rest at the dollar store that I can rest my hot iron on in ironing position, so it fools my auto shut off. It is shaped like the iron, but has little nubbins that keep the iron from burning the ironing board, and let's it cool when I am finished without being as much of a falling hazard to fur kids.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM

My Euro Steam Evolution iron never shuts off. It is made to rest flat on a Silicone pad that is included. I love it especially because it is less stress on my carpel tunnel.