2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Went trough my stash today, convinced that I wouldn't find a fabric that could be used as binding for the sampler I'm quilting now (i.e. I went trough my stash, looking for a reason to go fabric-shopping).
But I did found something. I even think I found the perfect fabric for the binding of that quilt. I'm happy, and very eager to finish that sampler, but nevertheless a little bit annoyed I didn't found an excuse to buy some fabric...
Old 02-03-2014, 01:33 PM

I am noting a little wavering in our resolve, ah make that a lot of wavering. I have no room to talk since I already succumbed to temptation last month. If we aren't careful this is going to become a forum to brag about our latest purchase and don't forget garage sales are just around the corner. Now that I've issued the warning that I felt was needed I am going to settle down with the latest Joann's ad.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM

I am in. This is my first year and really need to use up some of my stash. I have been exploring as many scrappy patterns as possible so I can make several of them. Good luck everyone.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM

This is the first time I have seen this posting. I will try real hard too not purchase any fabric. I have not so far this year. Went to Joann's Saturday and did have some cut. The clerk charged me wrong for all the fabric, also charged me for one book twice and over charged me for some other things. I am glad I checked it in the parking lot because it didn't sound right. I took everything back and left.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM

SewSewGal: Good job on checking your receipt and deciding to not buy this time. Look at the money you still have! I've added up what I spent in January and it is $205. This is before I joined but after I made a commitment to curb my spending. Part of that was for batting. That is ok. Another purchase was for a Slidelock ruler. That too is kind of ok. A couple of books--not really ok and a quilt kit that should not really be ok at all. I have many books and patterns and magazines and gizmos and gadgets and a huge stash of wonderful fabric. I am very fortunate that I have what I do and I appreciate my stash and stuff. However, I honestly do not need more. The problem is the want...having said all that, I have not purchased anything in February!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 AM

I bought two yards of fabric. Yup. hanging head down.. BUT (always a but in there) it is for a medallion quilt in progress in memory of my mom. It is all her favorite flowers. So for this I do not feel bad at all. I need about 2 yrds of white on white fabric. anyone have a huge amount they would like to sell a bit? otherwise looking for the best lqs quality fabric at the lowest price.. its white on white shouldn't be THAT hard to find it. Here the white on whites are all 10.95 to 12.95 a yard. too steep for me. its for my quilt for quilters work that is Christmas and she wants a white feel to it.. so that means not using my greens or reds sitting lovely on my shelf. argh!

Emma you crack me up
Sandy its ok for a special kitty quilt to buy fabric for it. feathered cats are not. unless you use it to have a bit coming out of his mouth
Colorado quilter: love your resolutions. I go to our bargain box here for clothing. Its in my range under 3.00 and buy about 3 pieces a year period. They put all the winter coats in a free box outside. Got a great one, granted its purple but it keeps me warm. Shoes are every two years a pair from payless shoes. They cost me 25.00 but they are the only pair I wear. I salute you to keeping to your resolution. Now to try it with fabric.. a MUCH bigger challenge isn't it?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:10 AM

Linda, I've had good luck with JoAnn's WOWs. Do you have a coupon?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Oh I bought fabric today. But...there's that word... I had my tax appt in a town about an hour away, home to one of my favorite LQS's. She sell paper bags--pretty big ones--with odds and ends of fabric for$9 each. I bought 2 bags of JMorton, JRothermel fabrics with over 4 yds in each. Largest piece 3/8 yd. Many F8th's and F16ths of like fabrics, plus odd and ends of coordinated fabrics. I would say $18 for over 8 yds of fabric is a deal! These fabrics are perfect to help finish off my mini quilts or put in a big quilt.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 PM

OK: What a deal, not even mentioning how much fun it would be to go through the sack. What a great idea for the LQ to clear leftovers.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

I did not even look at the Jo-Ann sales flyer, even when DH pointed out that he could get me the 20% senior citizen discount. Of course I am going to the Ricky Tims seminar tomorrow and there will be vendors at the event. It's not that I plan to fall off the wagon but the odds are I will. Well someone has to boost the economy, right?