Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
no tear paper piecing >

no tear paper piecing

no tear paper piecing

Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM

Thank you! This method seems "doable" to me. There are so many more intricate designs you can do by PP.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 AM

PP is not my favorite way of piecing, but I do it every so fatten, just to keep it n my brain.....this technique really seems even more tedious than the original way, and if I tried it my brain would just make me stitch onto that paper rather than just at its edge, thus making things more frustrating....so I think I will stick to the old way. But good to know there is another way!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

This is a great video. Thanks for sharing this video.
Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
I just discovered this from Quilt N Bee. It should be a good alternative for those who have trouble tearing away the paper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMiC...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
I've been using this method for paperpiecing for several years. The tutorial that helped me the most was this one: http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

There are several tutorials on paperpiecing with freezer paper, but this one clicked for me. Another thing I discovered that was especially helpful was the letter-size freezer paper from C. Jenkins so you can skip the step in the youtube video where she sews the outline through the paper. It goes through my printer with no jams at all. The website is http://www.cjenkinscompany.com
I didn't find much at the cjenkins site, but the twiddletails site is much more thorough than the video in the OP.
I have done this, and we didn't use freezer paper. (They said the freezer paper might stick on the presser foot when trying to sew.) We just used good quality ordinary typing paper (copy paper). Instead of ironing the first piece in place, you use a Washable glue stick. Glue each piece in place as needed. We made as many as 20 blocks from the same piece of paper.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 AM

Thank you! I am always amazed at people who come up with techniques like this. I am working on a Dear Jane and can't wait to use this.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Now you tell me -- 90 blocks to go!!!!
try a little spritz of water as you remove the paper, it will make the job go faster.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by sew4nin View Post
Thank you! I am always amazed at people who come up with techniques like this. I am working on a Dear Jane and can't wait to use this.
Sew4nin, if you're working on a Dear Jane, you've probably visited the thatquilt.com site. That's where the twiddletails tutorial is. I was making my Dear Jane when I started using her method.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 AM

THANK you! I have a file cabinet full of Judy Niemeyer paper piece patterns and this should cut the time down and save the pattern!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM

I've worked my way through several methods of PP. Since you'll be using freezer paper and you can use one piece for more than one block, if making many from the same pattern, I don't perforate the pattern. I simply fold on the lines, using a postcard to fold against, so to get a crisp fold. Depending on how many pieces are in your block, you can usually get at least 6 - 8 blocks from one piece of freezer paper. I also will press the freezer paper to my ironing surface a couple times, before sticking it to the fabric. Otherwise you might have a difficult time removing it from the fabric, once it's all sewn together. It just takes a few minutes to crease on all the lines of the pattern. Since you are not sewing through the freezer paper, I don't think it's a necessary step for this process. Also if you don't sew a perfectly straight seam, that will effect the seam you sew.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM

I've made many PP quilts with hundred's of pieces in a block. I made one where it took me an hour just to remove the paper from a 6" diameter block. That was before I learned about using freezer paper. I have not used a thin stabilizer(that stays in the quilt) as my foundation, so can't speak about that. I would like to try that however. One thing to remember is that there are usually several ways to accomplish the same thing, so use whatever works best for you. There's no one correct way.