Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leader/Ender quilts, can someone tell me what it is >

Leader/Ender quilts, can someone tell me what it is

Leader/Ender quilts, can someone tell me what it is

Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM

I believe they are quilts made from leaders (the small piece of fabric you stitch on and then stitch onto the fabric you're piecing); the enders are the small pieces of fabric that you stitch onto from the fabric you're piecing. Hard to explain. Hope you got it.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

My machine likes to eat the beginning edge of fabric when I start to sew and I will put pairs of squares or HSTs on the sewing line first to feed my chain piecing and I do one at the end of the line to. I leave the last one on the machine to be the leader for the next round of sewing.

If you make snowballs or flying geese you can accumulate lots of small HSTs from cutting off the corners. These are ready to use as L&Es and are perfect for mini quilts. Here is a sample of a mini made from these little "throw-a-ways". The HSTs are about 1.25" sq.
This whole quilt was made from scraps of other quilts.
peace

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04692.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	460524  
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 PM

wow that is a gorgeous quilt! I've been waiting for Bonnie's Leaders and Enders quilt book from paperbackswap.com to see what she suggests.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 PM

I fell in love with Bonnie's book - Adventures with Leaders and Enders - have even made several quilts from this book. It is one of the few that I was willing to pay full price for - lol

I love the idea of working on two quilts at the same time without having to think about the second one.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 PM

http://quiltville.blogspot.fi/2012/0...nd-leaderender
Bonnie Hunter also gives directions for her Split 9-patch block leaderender blocks in her free patterns section
Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 AM

Ditto....its so fast and easy to make a second scrappy quilt/table runner/pot holder...by using leaders and enders.
Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
I keep a box of scrap squares by my machine to use as leaders and enders....usually make either 4-patches or 9 patches. After awhile, when I have lots of blocks, I will put them together into a quilt. Some of my favorite quilts have come from these blocks. It is a way to sew 2 quilts at a time without really thinking about the second quilt...just doing them inbetween the other piecing. The Quiltville site has a great explanation and lots of scrap quilt possibilities!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

wowwwww,thanks everyone for the great ideas. keep hearing it but have no idea what it was about. beautiful quilts