Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Rhonda Lee: (Clumsy fingers) I just finished piecing Bonnie's Celtic Solstice which has made me want to get my own Orca out and finish it. Mine is pieced, except the borders, so I am not far from starting the quilting. I really wonder why I always stop working on them at the border stage.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Hey guys I'm needing some advice. I have a quilt that I am doing for some Star trek Fans, and I am hoping to have it done by the 14th. I am working on my FMQ but am NOT ready to tackle such a big project (especially on one that's a gift.)

What ideas do you have for some simple quilting? I know I will be outlining the Star trek symbol in the center but beyond that, I'm stumped. What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460497[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	seif.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	460497  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Rhonda Lee, Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit right in with all of us! I, too, have an Orca Bay center that is awaiting borders. Have decided I can give myself permission to simplify the border once it comes to the top of the UFO list. I made it smaller just to get it done and use what I had sewn already when I picked it up to work on. Good for you for shopping from stash!

Narnian, I can't tell exactly from the pic, is that a medallion-style quilt with the symbol in the center and then border? When you say outline, do you mean quilting around the central motif? Will you echo quilt out from there to fill up the backround? Im no good at FMQ, but I have had some luck sewing a presser foot distance around and around to fill up the backround. OOOO, that wasnt very well put! It ends up looking like ripples on a pond from a stone drop. My son would love that quilt!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi, narnian, don't show my dh that quilt! He'll snag it in a second! How are you at doing loops? You could loop de loop around the planets. You can do straight line star rays out from planets or stars, or my favorite, a large meander. It' s a great fun quilt! Enjoy the quilting! Some music for the rhythm, and a small glass of wine to relax the shoulder muscles and off you go!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Well, narnianquilter.... I like nancia's star rays idea. When in doubt..... keep it simple I say. It's going to be a super cute quilt.

And, welcome, Rhonda Lee. This is the place where we help each other keep on track with our UFOs..... glad to have you on board.

I am in need of some opinions as well. I'm trying to think ahead to March's finish while madly working on the cathedral window that WILL be finished this month. Anyway, some of you might remember I'm doing a OBW quilt that I had started putting strips together and then put it in a box. I took apart all the strips and started over like most of you suggested. I've put the hexis on the design wall a couple of different ways and this is where I am at this point. I'm liking it but need your eyes to see any odd ones that need to be moved. The picture is sideways..... but with this design, I don't think that matters. I've looked at it so many times that nothing is popping out at me anymore. So.... all my quilting buddies..... Help with your suggestions, please.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	obw3.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	460599  
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 AM

IMO, I would take the 3 dark blocks in the bottom left (as the photo lies) and move them to the top right just above the darkest blocks so your dark goes up that side more.
I would take those two dark blocks in the bottom right and switch out that light one 3rd up from the bottom far right side. Then I'd switch out the lighter one 2nd up on the far right with the darker block so the fade is more even.

I hope I have been helpful, as that is my only intention!! Hugss and smiles!

Even as it is, tho, you have done a great job! Just looking at your photo, rather than your design wall will help you see where the spots of color show up to throw off the flow.
I always take photos to see how things look, as I can't step far enough away from my wall to get a good look. It's in a hallway.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM
cjr

I'm jumping in late. good job on finishes. I have many ufos pigs etc. I am very determined to get some of them done this year.

So far this year:
finished tabletopper of Cathedral windows from last spring
Tied a twin tumbler from 2009, Binding is very fast for me. This is going to my sister, who I haven't seen since 2010
Finished piecing, put on border of a king granny square and have quilted 1/3 of it (large quilts are done in sections on my Singer 328 from the 1950, was my Mom"s)
Today I'm quilting a work in progrwess table topper that was started last month. I will finish today or tomorrow,
Finished piecing a small spiderweb. Quilting will be later this year,
Next project is finishing a queen for niece graduating from college in May
Evening hand sewing that need to be done before are 2 hand embroidery pillow tops for son & DDIL

Many other projects brewing

I'll take and post pic later this week
Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Welcome, CJR! Looks like you have been very busy working on your UFOs. Good for you! cant wait to see some pictures. I bet you'll find lots of encouragement in this group to keep on going and get 'em done!

Well, after working on a few things I wanted to work on to feed my soul, I decided to work on a UFO that was due at Christmas, but wasn't even started. (I'm still counting it cause it was SUPPOSED to be finished!) lol! It's a couch quilt for my ddil in neutral colors that go in her family room. I wanted to make it for her because last winter, she was using the flannel-backed baby quilt I made for dgd#2 to keep off the chill. So I have just finished ripping out about ten small sections that I sewed incorrectly and a few block rows. I did finish cutting it out and will go sew again in a few minutes to try to get as far as I can today, cause we are traveling in a bit and will be away from the machine. I wish I had been more careful with the fabric values, but I'm persisting cause it's too late now! Another lesson learned!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, wildyard..... It really helps to have someone else give me feedback. I'm going to go tinker some more in a minute. I think OBWs have been the most difficult for me.... the placing the hexis.... very frustrating.

Welcome cjr..... also anxious to see all the UFOs you're working on and getting finished.

Oh QltrSue.... don't tell me I have to count the quilts I have on my list that need to be made but not started yet. That will turn my UFO list from 3 to 7 in a heartbeat. But it does sound like you're getting things done. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

This train is chugging along.... adding a few along the way.... heading toward the end.... end of the UFOs. Yeah!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 PM

I fell off the train on that last curve. LOL.... this week I have found out about 3 comfort quilts that I want/need to make so my UFOs will be sitting without attention till I get these made. I have one cut out and started the piecing. I'm working on the fabric for another... trying to trade for Oakland Raiders fabric without much luck, looks like I might have to break down and buy some... lol. And waiting on details for the third.