Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to use Elmer's Glue >

how to use Elmer's Glue

how to use Elmer's Glue

Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Thank you all for your help. I am going to take your advice. Off to Michaels for glue!!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:34 AM

I do it on the batting like the other posters did. Be careful about thinning the glue down too much with water or it will soak through. I don't usually thin it down but if it gets too hard to squeeze out I will let the bottle sit in warm water to make the glue flow more easily. I have also used all different brands of glue with similar results so if you see glue on sale or at the dollar store and it's washable glue it works fine.
If I'm gluing a binding I'll use an iron to set the glue. If I'm sandwiching a quilt together I just let it sit until the glue is dry.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 AM

I tried using the Elmers Glue on a small 12 in x 12 in banner. I applied the glue in little drizzles, less than pencil-lead diameter, in just a few spots, across and down. Then I ironed it so set the glue. And left it for a day. When I came back, the banner had puckered up in spots. Because the glue had dried, I couldn't iron out the puckers. Now I'm very concerned on what I did wrong. Have you experienced this? And how do you avoid the puckering?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 AM

I tried using the Elmers Glue on a small 12 in x 12 in banner. I applied the glue in little drizzles, less than pencil-lead diameter, in just a few spots, across and down. Then I ironed it so set the glue. And left it for a day. When I came back, the banner had puckered up in spots. Because the glue had dried, I couldn't iron out the puckers. Now I'm very concerned on what I did wrong. Have you experienced this? And how do you avoid the puckering?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM

I've used the water soluble glue for applique but not for basting. It sure would be cheaper than the spray baste in the can. Also I wouldn't have to worry about the bird. Now if I use the spray baste I need to move the bird. It's a pain because his cage is so big.
Cindy
Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by wellphooey View Post
I don't have an answer but am wondering if you could dampen the puckered spots to loosen the glue, smooth the fabrics and then iron. I've been using glue for a couple of years for everything from spots at seams that need to match to glue basing all sizes of quilts to replacing the pinning on binding and have not experienced the pucker problem. This is curious indeed!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 AM

My favorite method comes from a post here. I take a dollar store spray bottle, put in about a quarter cup of the glue, and equal amount or slightly more of water, and a couple of drops of dish detergent. I lay out the three layers, then fold back the top half way. Spray the mixture on the batting, then smooth the top over it. Repeat with the other half. Let it dry, then do the other side. Sometimes I flip the whole thing over after the first side is done. Have done four quilts like this since Christmas and am really happy with the results. I do put a couple of safety pins in the corners and here and there on the edge after it dries. I quilt with a Sweet 16 sit down machine and just love this method.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 AM

My method also closely resembles Nessie's and others, though I've been doing backing, batting, and top all at the same time -- making a 3 piece sandwich instead of 2 piece, I mean.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Was the fabric in the banner prewashed? I am wondering if the water in the glue caused the fabric to shrink in spots. If you have some extra fabric, I would take a piece, measure it, then either steam iron or spray and iron and measure again. This would indicate whether the fabric is shrinking due to moisture.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 PM

I wondered about this because after teaching elementary for 31 years, I am very familiar with what Elmer's can do. Or not. So i'm wondering about the puckering. Maybe I'll try it on a potholder. A gal at church demonstrated the spray basting and it puckered, so I'm trying the fusible batting. It's okay, but one can only fuse 1/2 of the quilt as puckers happen...then you have to pull it off and iron again. BUT it does leave a nice finished project. Not sayin' glue is bad...just wondering about the puckers. Hate 'em.