Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with making hearts, please >

Help with making hearts, please

Help with making hearts, please

Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Help with making hearts, please

I've asked for help on this before and I was and still am so bad.

I'm making hearts for a friend who wants to make brooches for her sisters.
So I will cut out heart shapes (small ones) sew, turn them right side out and stuff.
However, I'm so bad at making the "V".

I was "taught" to not make a v point but to sew a few straight stitches at the "point." But they've never turned out right.

Help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

A small heart is harder to do then a big heart. Use a small stitch length and I leave the opening for turning on the straight edge. If you have a pinking blade or pinking shears, doing that all around the edge before turning will help. If you can't pink the edges then make little clips at intervals all around the edges almost to the stitching line. Make sure to do a clip directly into the V of the heart.
By the way, it is easier to draw and sew the heart shape on 2 squares of fabric and trim the seam allowance after the stitching.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Tartan has given you great advice. As to sewing the V, in addition to the short stitch length, I would take only 2 stitches there for your inverted point since you are doing small hearts. Larger the project, you could get away with maybe 3. Then clip quite close to that seam line careful not to cut THROUGH the stitching. You could also 'grade' your seams at that V - cut the bottom seam allowance shorter than the top layer, thus helping things lay a bit flatter.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Wow, those are great answers. And a superb question. Thanks I learned something valuable today.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Thank you Tartan and NJ Quilter. I took your advise and my V shapes turned out quit well. Better than I've done before!
Thanks also for such a quick answer. I worked on them today. If I could post a picture, I would so you could see them.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 AM

One method that works for me for turning is to lightly draw a pencil line on the wrong side in your final shape. Then I score the line using an old pizza cutter. After finger pressing and then a quick press with the iron, I can position the applique and stitch it in any manner.
MaryKatherine
Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 AM

good information on hearts today. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Great information - especially this time of the year!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM

I did a bunch of hearts on a quilt once this way: Trace the heart onto muslin or a fabric that matches your finished heart. Put it, right sides together onto your heart fabric and sew. Carefully cut a slit in the backing fabric, and turn right side out. Press carefully, being sure to keep the backing from showing at the edges. Applique as usual. This technique worked so well for me and the extra layer/seam on the edge wasn't a problem. I got the nice shape that I wanted, even hand-appliqueing with blanket stitch. Hope this works for you!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 PM

I see you've already succeeded with the advice from Tartan, but thought I'd post a link to a small heart pattern here just in case anyone else is wanting to make one & there's the heart shape. http://oliverands.com/free-patterns/valentines-heart