Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It's a washout" >
  • It's a washout"

• It's a washout"

Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Interesting thread - haven't done this yet but if I do, these will be good things to know.
    Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 AM

I like Printed Treasures.
    Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

I like the EQ Printables. I prefer the texture compared to the Printed Treasures. I also find it easier to remove the backing. So far I haven't had any major problems with fading and I have used an HP printer and an Epson printer at different times. You might try using a dye fixative on the label.
    Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 AM

I make my own printer sheets. I used to have a blog on here on how I do it. I use BubbleJetSet2000. I have not had any issues with the color completely washing out. Actually...I've got a wall hanging here that is 7 years old, been washed several times...still looks like the day I made it.

Originally Posted by katei
    Just wondering if anyone cam recommend fabric paper for printing photos on to. I bought a packet of (expensive!) paper to print photos on for a memory quilt. Fortunately I tested it out first and on the first light wash the photo faded considerably. Has anyone found a fabric paper that really works? Thanks.
    Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Totally agree with OnebyOne.......Have a print shop do the photos if you want a lasting product.
    Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Last night I tried to make a label for a quilt donation to a library. I actually sewed the paper and fabric together at the top. (My freezer paper is really old, and wouldn't stick to the fabric, but it was stiff enough.) It went through the printer and printed just fine. I have a Dell Photo 926 printer. This morning I finished sewing it into the back, and was using a little starch to set the frame around it and got a few drops of starch onto the printing. It got all blurry.

So I took my pigma pen and traced each letter. That worked, but was quite tedious as the printing was quite small.
    Is there I way I should have set the ink? I did heat set it with the iron before it got wet, and it had set overnight.
    Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM

I found a method to make your pictures much more permanent. Print your picture on fresh washed, no fabric softener, fabric. I buy Alene's "OK To Wash It" and spread a thin, even coat of it on my Teflon pressing sheet, using the edge of a business card then carefully press the picture side of the fabric to it. Smooth gently. Allow to dry completely. Pull the fabric off of the Teflon sheet.Iron it on cotton setting and you have a picture that will survive the occasional washing. Wash your Teflon sheet in the sink with dish soap. Works for me.
    Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by margecam52
    I make my own printer sheets. I used to have a blog on here on how I do it. I use BubbleJetSet2000. I have not had any issues with the color completely washing out. Actually...I've got a wall hanging here that is 7 years old, been washed several times...still looks like the day I made it.
    I have a friend who thinks this product is terrific - she has never had a problem.
    Old 02-07-2014, 03:28 PM

I have had good luck with Printed Treasures, got them from Joanns. They are expensive, but I got them 50% off so that was not so bad. Had real good luck with the HP inkjet printing on them, I set the ink with cold water as recommended and then ironed with hot iron after they were dry. Then washed and it stayed very well.
    Old 02-08-2014, 05:00 AM

Thank you to everyone for this very useful advice and information. I will try out these suggestions and let you know how it goes.