2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 AM

Martina: Diabolical! What's a poor fiberholic to do? You did fine as long as you didn't have to rent a forklift and semi to get it home. Can we see pictures?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Martina: Diabolical! What's a poor fiberholic to do? You did fine as long as you didn't have to rent a forklift and semi to get it home. Can we see pictures?
I second the plea for pictures! Need some eye candy on this snowy day!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM

I had to make another purchase but I believe it's well within the guidelines.

I'm in a class on the 19th, we're doing Ziggarut from Pam Goecke Dinndorf's book Colorific. Its a great book if you are interested. Anyway, I am using all fabric from my stash, a bunch of Marcia Derse fabric I bought in Anchorage a few years ago. Turned out I was a smidgeon short on the pinks so I picked up a fat quarter of a different fabric that I think will blend in. Since its only for about 5% of the quilt I feel ok about it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM

Elisabrat,
I have no where to go here to dress up. Just wear jeans an tees or sweat shirts most all the time. I have pants and sweaters left from when I worked and blouses. I am wearing out shoes here. I have plenty of jeans. I could pass the .50 clothes sales. Good pair of black pants and good top will do it here. Coats that one shop they would mark to $1 or giveaway. I do not care what brand of jeans I wear. Normal jeans. Old jeans goes for quilts. I bought a few colored pairs for the quilts when on sale for $1 or less. And I hunted for bright yellow ones for a quilt I designed . I was at a out of town thrift and found two pair of bright yellow huge ones, brand new. I am sure I will need to wash several times before I cut them. Bigger the jeans, more material. Sometimes it takes a long time to gather up enough material of type needed. And the colors to work with. I want to get rid of the scrap stuff and then go original quilts. I have some wild ideas I guess to try.

I have not bought any quilt material this year. Last year I did toss a couple pair of old jeans in to the stash. not buying for it, just one I had to quit wearing. I bought very little last year Till Thanksgiving.

I want to make some butterfly quilts. seemed to be very popular back in the 30's. Uses up little scrap stash.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM

OK, I bought flannel last week, but it was backing for a UFO. The flannel is now stitched onto the UFO and one more day of SID, then trimming and binding. So Am I still on the wagon or not? I have a couple other UFOs that may need backing. By the time I get to that part, I just don't want to do any more piecing and arranging and designing. Just want to be done. Love the support here.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM

Yes, Coopah, you are firmly on the wagon. You made a purchase, but it didn't go into the storage known as stash. Good job!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Ok, I did not buy! I saw an add in a quilt magazine regarding a super offer at Connecting Threads. I wanted it. Very much. I went to the web site. I looked and looked and thought this will be ok it's under $100.00. No shipping charge, 20% off. Beautiful fabric. And then I thought about reporting here. Yep, it curbed my spending. I did not spend. So far in February no spending!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 AM

Thanks, Irishrose! This thread is helping me not buy and be more responsible. Not thrilled with the quality of the flannel, but it's getting done. Right now, I need to plan the backings ahead. I really admire folks who can go ahead and piece the back as well as the front.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
Ok, I did not buy! I saw an add in a quilt magazine regarding a super offer at Connecting Threads. I wanted it. Very much. I went to the web site. I looked and looked and thought this will be ok it's under $100.00. No shipping charge, 20% off. Beautiful fabric. And then I thought about reporting here. Yep, it curbed my spending. I did not spend. So far in February no spending!
Another good job. You are to be commended for showing such self control, especially if it was in the red fabrics. I haven't been back to see if they have sold out yet. The sooner the better so the temptation is removed.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Thanks Irishrose. I love Connecting Threads and their fabrics. The reds they have are magnificent. My reds are getting on the low side but I have oodles of other colors. Gotta just keep thinking that other colors are pretty too, and will make beautiful quilts. Ooooh, but those reds are gorgeous!