Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I caved and bought a serger ... >

I caved and bought a serger ...

I caved and bought a serger ...

Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM

I have the Babylock Evolve Wave and love it. It threads itself. I did have the the thread it yourself variety some years ago and could not go back to it....I use the serger on the finished top, around the edge, before binding. Makes my binding easier to put on.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 AM

I use my serger for charity quilting and it works great and has a two thread seam to withstand heavy washing. I started with a jellyroll type quilt from 2 ½” scraps, with the strips already sewn together. Now that I got hooked on serger quilting my 1 ½” x 4 ½” and 2 ½”x 8 ½” scraps are being used up fast. Using the knife as a guide cleans the edge and makes a scant ¼” seam, (Baby Lock set on M width setting, using a 4-thread over lock stich.)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Love my Serger, but it is a singer, so I can't give you advice on your particular machine. Your gonna like it. The only time I get frustrated with mine is occasionally when I try to thread it. How found forceps are great for threading mine. If you don't have any of them tweezers work well also. You can get cheap forceps at Harbor Freight. Even better they usually have a coupon.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 AM

I don't really know what to do with a serger( but maybe I need one too&#128521
Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 PM

I have made a couple of quilt as you go quilts using a serger pattern instructions from a book but don't remember the name of it. The quilts are like very large log cabin throw size - the strips were a few inches wide. They were fun to make. Google should be able to help you too and your local library if it's convenient.

Last edited by Jackie R; 02-09-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM

I use my serger for quilting all the time. I square up my quilt and then trim the 4 sides with the the 4 thread setting set for 1/4 inch. Then I bind the quilt. Makes it so nice and neat and easy to bind. BUT.....I had on Sewing with Nancy the other day and she did a binding with the serger different. She serged the binding on using fusible thread in the upper looper. Ironed the binding to the other side and the looper thread fused it in place. Then she would either stitch in the ditch or whatever to finish. DUH, why didn't I think of that. I am teaching a young mom to sew and quilt. She finished her first quilt before Christmas and of course her little machine died. She came over to use mine to finish it. She FMQ'ed and then was ready to bind. I showed her how I serged the four sides before binding....She was so excited...and was able to have the quilt wrapped and under the tree in time. I am sure the quilt police wouldn't be impressed, but it works for me, holds up over much washing. YEAH. brenda
Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 AM

I used to have a book on using sergers to make quilts...I gave it to the lady that bought my serger. : )
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Everyone needs a serger, wouldn't sew without one. Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I own a nice one, but can't for the life of me thread it. So it sits. I use to take it to the LQS where I bought it and have the woman rethread the ones that came undone, but she insisted I learn to do it myself. I can't no matter how much I try. I won't go back in and ask for help again. She made it known she didn't want to keep doing it. She did it about 4 times and I'm too embarrassed to ask her for her help again. So it's of no use to me. I tried selling it on the Quilting Board even, because I'm not using it, but I guess I was either asking too much or no one wanted a used one.
I thought I couldn't do it either, spent hours cursing it and then discovered there is a little dohickey in the undercarriage that you click and when you do, you can thread it. Read your manual and look with a good light until you find that little dohickey. There is a picture of it in your owner's manual. Be sure you use the long tweezers that came with the machine to catch the thread. If all else fails, take it somewhere and pay someone to teach you to thread it by watching you thread it until you can do it. Having a lovely piece of equipment that you paid a high price for just catching dust is sinful. My serger sat virtually unused for 15 years before I pronounced the whole threading thing ridiculous and learned to do it. froggyintexas
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM

I have a serger and use it on sewing. It is a bear to thread, even with the diagrams, just make sure you gave a pair of the long curved tweezers, if not it is really a nightmare.