Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spiral binding on softcover books >

Spiral binding on softcover books

Spiral binding on softcover books

Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 AM

I do this all of the time and just count the cost as part of the book purchase. One of the things I like most about it is that if I photocopy a page-pattern or applique there is no distortion because the page I am copying is flat against the glass. I have found they hold up very well. I also do this to Bible study books and cook books.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 AM

I prefer to cut the book and place pages in page protectors in a binder as noted by dakotamaid so pages can be copied. You can purchase different weight protector sheets at office supply stores. I prefer the type that are not real slick or thin. When I ordered my Inklingo book from Linda Franz, one of the book options is loose leaf, so I chose that style so that I can place pages in protectors in a binder. When I start to use a Judy Niemeyer pattern, I do this with it as well. Binders stand up nicely and I can add pages and notes. I purchase the white binders with the clear plastic covers and spines. That way I can place the front and back cover from the book in the plastic cover in the binder and the spine from books (or make my own from light weight card stock) in the spine cover in the binder. Standing on a shelf, I can see the title of the book that way.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Neat, didn't know you could that.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM

I have done that with most of my paper back quilt books. Not only is it easier to USE, but it's easier to page through when you're just looking. The only downside is that there isn't a spine to identify the book on the shelf, so I have to pull them out to see what I'm looking for. Guess how often I get sidetracked!?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I have a story about taking a quilt book to have a spiral binding so it will lay flat. I live in the metro DC area so multi-cultural is the name of the game. I went in to have the book rebound and there was this little Indian (as in Calcutta, India) man working at Office Depot and he looked and looked at the book to the point I felt like saying "... so I'm weird! I spend hours cutting fabric up and sewing it together again!" Anyway, when I picked the book up later in the day, there was a note in elegant cursive script "I've looked at your book whenever I could today: I studied textiles in my home country and this is fascinating!" Didn't someone say that quilts are universal?
What a nice story! And how seldom do we realize that others may be fascinated by or interested in the things we enjoy and, perhaps, take for granted. I don't even know this Office Depot employee but I like him!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Can they replace comb bindings, or do they have to start from scratch? I have a comb bound book, and the plastic comb is brittle and coming apart--I'd like to have the comb replaced with a new one.
Yes, you can replace the plastic comb with one that is the same size. You can even do it yourself once you have found the same size comb.

I do it all the time.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I've done it to all my applique books and am thinking about doing it to my Bonnie Hunter books.
I think publishers don't do it because the title doesn't show and the books don't stand up well in stores unless they are really thick.
I can see their point. I just stack my comb bounds on their side.
There are a couple of reasons that publishers don't do it and you mentioned one, that you can't read the title on the binding. The combs or spirals get caught on each other and don't play nice when you have a bunch of them. Also, they do get broken or can become brittle over time and need to be replaced. More problems than most vendors want to deal with.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM

I am lucky that my company has a copy center. I can take a softbound book to them and they will remove the bound part and drill the holes for a 3-ring binder. I can even purchase the binders from our purchasing department at cost. I prefer doing this rather than having a book spiral bound because you can take the pages out and lay them flat to photocopy. If the book is spiral bound, it is not really laying flat on the copier, which distorts what's on the page.

Lately, I have been downloading more patterns from the www from people's blogs, fabric company websites and sites like Annie's and ePattern Central, so I print those out and put them into page protectors.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

I guess I am different. I have them cut off the biding and punch them for a three hole binder. Even when you include the price of the binder, it is about $3.50 each. I like it because it gives you a firm back and front cover so they don't want to fall over and get bent in the bookcase. I can take pages out easily and photo copy as needed. I have done these for everything from quilt books to crochet to cookbooks. I love having the option to make it how I want with out spending alot.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
Here's a thought: if you have a teacher friend, see if his/her school has a binding machine in its workroom. The cost of an individual comb is really cheap. It doesn't take an engineering degree to operate the machine, and it shouldn't take more than two or three minutes from start to finish. Use a white or yellow binding comb and write the name of the book on it using a Sharpie pen. You can still read the name, and the book will lie flat when it's opened.
Sorry but school supplies are to be used by the schools - not for personal use.