Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Outdated" fabric >

"Outdated" fabric

"Outdated" fabric

Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM

The fabric designs I don't care for are some of those that came out right after 9-11. I like flags for patriotic quilts, but I definitely do not care for Christmas fabrics with flags. Back then I kept expecting to see a fabric design with Baby Jesus lying in a manger wrapped in a flag.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Isn't that what scrap quilts are for?
sure is.....
Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
The fabric designs I don't care for are some of those that came out right after 9-11. I like flags for patriotic quilts, but I definitely do not care for Christmas fabrics with flags. Back then I kept expecting to see a fabric design with Baby Jesus lying in a manger wrapped in a flag.
That would definitely be bad!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 AM

I don't think there is any such thing as "outdated" fabric. If you like it, use it. I do it all the time and none of my family has ever noticed the difference. If you have fabrics you don't like much they make good backings or can be cut up into small pieces so they are not so obvious and used anyway. I think "outdated" fabric is a myth of the quilt police!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 AM

I apologize for not reading all the responses to this yet. My personal opinion, I think 'outdated fabric' is probably more of a personal preference. One reason I don't have a stash as such. I'm afraid my personal tastes in fabric will change over time, as they do with other thinks. Hence, those fabrics would then be 'outdated' to me.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 AM

By the time any quilt gets finished in my house, everything is "outdated!" Who cares? No one else knows it's "outdated" but the quilt police who don't rule my life. No one has ever refused one of my quilts because it was "outdated."

Justflyin in: yes, I have coral, turquoise, and dark green fabrics just waiting to be made into a stunning quilt, and I really don't care that the pattern is also from the 90's. I liked it all then and still like it.

Last edited by coopah; 02-11-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 AM

The quilt group from our church uses donated fabric. Some of them are very outdated so we make strip scrap quilts. They turn out very nice. We are thankful for what has been given to us. We make quilts for our graduating seniors. So if anyone has some "outdated" fabric they don't want, we'll take it! Hint hint lol
Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 AM

A few years ago a co-worker of my husband was cleaning out his mothers house and came across 12 bolts of fabric that was 36" wide and sold for 15 cents a yard. The tags were still on the blots. I was the very fortunate recipient of these vintage fabrics. I made a Dresden plate quilt for the friend and have made several more vintage style quilts with the fabrics. Every quilter wants to know where I found the fabric. So much for going out of stlye.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:21 AM

Hang on to your "outdated" fabrics. They will be back in style. As was said previously, just look at the 1930s prints - which I personally dislike, as in really dislike. Maybe because it was old lady fabric when I was young. Seafoam and peach are still my favorites and you may feel free to send them to me. LOL Try using an "old" fabric with a new one. You just might create a new craze!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 AM

IMHO the only thing that may make a fabric outdated is the colors ways. I have some great peach fabric from several years ago and it is very hard to find fabric to match it. The fabric and clothing manufacturers change the colors each year for example by adding 2 more drops of blue to the green to make a "new " color so you will have to buy more if you want stuff to match. .