Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt as batting? >

T-shirt as batting?

T-shirt as batting?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Default T-shirt as batting?

I have a lot of old t-shirts and I was trying to come up with something to do with them. They are all 100% cotton. I like to make potholders out of practice and orphan blocks and I was thinking I could use two layers of t-shirt and one layer of insulbrite for the batting. I can't seem to find any information on the web about if this is a bad idea or not. I would love to know what you guys think!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry but I don't think that would work for a potholder. Batting has a thickness while t-shirt don't.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 PM

Are the t-shirts wearable? If so, why not donate them to Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc. If not wearable, how about cutting them up and using them for stuffing dog beds? What about taking your favorites and making a t-shirt quilt? I've also seen on Pinterest "upcycling" t-shirts - cutting them/slashing them to make scarves, new t-shirts, etc. Just some thoughts...

I've never seen anything about using t-shirt weight material instead of batting. I believe it would be too thin, so it wouldn't work as batting. I'm interested in what other QB members have to say on this.

Anita
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Actually, I would just cut the tee shirts up and use them as dust cloths. Even with insulbrite, I don't think they would be appropriate as batting for hot pads.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

I think I would rip strips and use them as yarn for crocheted potholders or hot pads. here is a tutorial...
http://6ichthusfish.typepad.com/6ich...irt-yarn-.html

Last edited by DebraK; 02-11-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM

I made a number of scarfs from recycled t-shirts for Christmas gifts and I have alot of jersey knits that I want to cut up and start a rag rug. I think it is too stretchy to use as batting, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	girls in scarves.JPG
Views:	828
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	461846  
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 AM

I would try it with one pot holder and test it in the kitchen. You might have a good plan!

Debbie
Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 AM

Tshirts being fully cotton, would work either way, In my church, we use old sheets as batting for our quilts that go overseas, that I would think if you put tshirts together, they would work just was well. In the old times, people used lightweight fabric as batting for summer quilts. I also think that tshirts being cotton would work as hot pads, if you had enough layers, they would be better than polyester batting, due to the heat and melting. I also think if you use them and insulate it would give the potholder some poof as well as insulation. That is just my opinion of course.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 AM

Just make sure they are all cotton...some are poly cotton mix and might melt under excess heat
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM

I don't see much difference between using t-shirts and flannel, both are fairly thin. So, one or 2 layers of t-shirt material may work for a quilt. It would take more layers to make a hot pad, I would probably start with 5 layers. We have a bunch of t-shirts that have worn out. If you make a t-shirt quilt, you're using just the graphic or text on the t-shirt, so there is the rest of the t-shirt that can be used for something. Since t-shirts would end up with a seam in them in a quilt, I think they would be best for things like rag quilts or other blocks that are sewn together after quilting the block (including QAYG).