Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Outdated" fabric >

"Outdated" fabric

"Outdated" fabric

Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Ah-hahaha! Thank you! I can breathe again. I've got mauve and navy in my living room. Whew! And what is puce???

</g>
I had the same question. What is Puce? I have seen it used in earlier posts as well. I was going to google it! ha ha
Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by snow View Post
Never heard that fabric get outdated personally for the older the better. I have some fabric that was made the year of my birthday 1957 and i feel so blessed to have it. wish I more. And I would never get rid of a vintage quilt.
I've got some that were popular 50+ years ago----------but I've also got projects for them.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Mauve is not outdated, for goodness sake... it's just another color. It's pretty evident that we have become a nation of people controlled by the advertising and fashion industries. Who are THEY to tell US what's outdated and what's not? Don't drink the kool-ade, quilters. Go on what you like, not what the industry tells you is fashionable. Their profits depend on your buying what they tell you to think. We need to learn to discern when our thoughts (and our spending) are being controlled by interested parties.

If mauve is outdated, what about puce? <g>
I had written something similar and then decided to delete it all.

I felt like mine was too snarky. So, I'm glad to see that you wrote my thoughts EXACTLY!

I happened to love the mauve/blue combo and STILL like it.

I think people have a tendency to overuse things and then when they get a little tired of it, then it is so "yesterday".

There is little doubt that the chevron stripes (what is so compelling about them that they they are so popular, anyway? They really aren't that amazing of a design--not like someone had to think for weeks/years to figure out a new style/design--, and yet someone has done a fantastic job of marketing them) and certain retro/wild styles are going to definitely be dated in 5-10 years and then some "Oh, that was so early 2010's.". I know that I don't care. If it is something that I like, it doesn't matter to me whether a magazine publisher says it is in style.

</g>
Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 PM

According to Wikipedia:
Puce (variant spellings: "puse", "peuse" or "peuce") is a dark red or purple brown color,[SUP][2][/SUP] a brownish purple [SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] or a dark reddish brown.[SUP][5]

[/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puce
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. If you don't like the fabric, you haven't cut it up small enough yet.
EXACTLY what I was going to say....
Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I just love the "outdated" or vintage fabric. If it was so bad, they wouldn't make the 30's repro fabric.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:39 AM

The fashion industry has tried to tell us what colors we need to wear THIS year. The quilting fabric manufacturers have followed suit. I am sort of a nonconformist in that I wear what I like and I use what I want in quilts. I don't expect to enter my quilts in any juried shows, just give them to my favorite people, therefore I am free to use what I want for fabric and patterns. I don't let anyone tell me I can't so pooh, pooh, quilt police and fashion police! Quilt on!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 AM

I have some older fabrics given to me that I'm not in love with but try to work into quilts. Sometimes I use them for my "try it and see" blocks. Often I am surprised with how the fabric really works!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:11 AM

Love outdated fabrics. Have loads of Christmas fabric that is quite dated but always hate to use the last of it because I know there won't be anymore!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 AM

My first thought was I guess that's why I'm a scrappy gal. I don't think fabrics are outdated, color combo's date things. Remember green kitchens, harvest gold kitchens? Never work today. But fabrics are different. I, personally do not like a lot of the fabrics today - colors yes, styles not so much. So, I combine them and like them better. The only fabric I have gotten rid of is the cheap stuff I bought over the years. Now I'm a quilt snob on a budget.