Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock >

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Guess you read right past it: bought a 14u32 for 20 bucks.

Couldn't pass it up for that.

Even if we get totally frustrated with it and resell it for 30 or 40 I'm money ahead.

Like I mentioned, it's going to be primarily for edge binding anyways.

I'm also going to tinker with it a bit, which I get great pleasure out of.

It looks like I may be able to convert it to a 4 thread, essentially making it a 14u34.

With all due respect, nothing much passes me by. Twenty bucks may seem like a bargain and maybe it is. Good luck with your new venture.
~Cindy
Old 02-14-2014, 05:10 AM

I have one that is the same model that someone gave me. It hadn't been used in several years and needed to be cleaned and oiled, not difficult. Threading is not that difficult and there is a colored thread path to follow. Just have a pair of longish tweezers available. I usually only use it for overcasting seams, but nothing wrong with that. I think it is worth $50 for her use. Go for it.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
With all due respect, nothing much passes me by. Twenty bucks may seem like a bargain and maybe it is. Good luck with your new venture.
~Cindy
I meant no offense.

You were telling me to not buy a Serger when I had, in fact, already mentioned that I had bought it.

Seemed like you missed that post is all.

cheers

Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by gammaginny View Post
I have one that is the same model that someone gave me. It hadn't been used in several years and needed to be cleaned and oiled, not difficult. Threading is not that difficult and there is a colored thread path to follow. Just have a pair of longish tweezers available. I usually only use it for overcasting seams, but nothing wrong with that. I think it is worth $50 for her use. Go for it.
Cheers, we intend to give it a go!

That it was only 20 bucks is just icing on the cake.

I suppose with the service manual and a few parts I've bought to have a try at making it a 4 thread has brought me closer to 50 bucks though.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM

I have the Singer 14u64a Serger. It was given to me at the time my husband bought me a new machine back in 1988. I used it a lot back then. I made clothes for myself and the two granddaughters I had back then. I'm still using it..not as much but I've gotten back somewhat into clothes making and it sure comes in handy. I've never had a problem with it..knock on wood!!! LOL It was top of the line back in those days. My friend has a new BabyLock serger and it's awesome. Hopefully a new one will appear under my Christmas tree..hope, hope. I like all those bells and whistles...but still like the vintage Singer machines too. I have 12 of them. If the one your friend has is anything like the one I have I'd buy it. If I get a new one my old one is going to my oldest granddaughter. She's finally decided she wants to learn to quilt!! YEAH!!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:31 PM

I've never had a problem threading my serger. it's an older model but it's color coded. It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles the new ones have but it's still going strong after 25 years. MacyBaby is so right. You will need a good pair of long tweezers. Maybe the reason I dont find it so hard to thread is I worked in a shirt factory and used the commercial sergers. Now those are certainly hard to learn how to thread!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
I'm military and stuck in Nl for at least another year.

I'm from NS originally, but have lived in Ont, MB, Sk, BC and NWT.

I can scan a copy of mine when it arrives if you want. It's going to be for a 14U32, but things like the loopers should be similar if not the same...
Oh! You skipped right over our lovely snow covered province then.

I would be thrilled if you could scan that manual. Even if it wasn't identical, there should be more than enough that's "close enough" to any serger that I wouldn't have to pull my hair out "learning" things that are already published.

I also found this while I was rebuilding my sewing room laptop today - (it was still on XP and a little unstable after 6 years of no attention):
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/fcs2...03/fcs2803.pdf - Serger Basics - Level 1

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I don't use it much anymore as I pretty much stick to quilting.
I have one friend who uses her serger for piecing quilt tops! I have never tried it, but I wonder if the seams would be more secure? In theory, raveling shouldn't be an issue. I also wondered about bulk, and I know with my accuracy, I'd have to start with double the fabric I thought I needed.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Oh! You skipped right over our lovely snow covered province then.

I would be thrilled if you could scan that manual. Even if it wasn't identical, there should be more than enough that's "close enough" to any serger that I wouldn't have to pull my hair out "learning" things that are already published.

I also found this while I was rebuilding my sewing room laptop today - (it was still on XP and a little unstable after 6 years of no attention):
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/fcs2...03/fcs2803.pdf - Serger Basics - Level 1

I have one friend who uses her serger for piecing quilt tops! I have never tried it, but I wonder if the seams would be more secure? In theory, raveling shouldn't be an issue. I also wondered about bulk, and I know with my accuracy, I'd have to start with double the fabric I thought I needed.
Will do.

Standby for when I receive it.

Only thing in AB for me would be Edmonton and I have no desire to be there any time soon...no offense intended to any edmontonians on the board.

Not every place is for everybody.

Last edited by great white; 02-14-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:26 PM

I have a 3 thread baby lock, not that hard to thread and sews great, bought a Singer a few years ago and returned it to WM as it sewed not very good. Have a 4 thread Janome recondiitoned from Overstock but have not had space to use it or most of other machines for that matter. I would look for a babylock myself, and for sewing clothes they can't be beat. Mine is a 418 from the 80's.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM

Well, my friend picked it up today and snapped a couple pics:

Yeesh. Lots of work to be done on that old girl.

Glad I only paid 20 bucks for it.

Good thing is they ran a stitch before dropping it in the box and it worked fine.

Lots of cosmetic work and cleaning to do though.