Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Stores and YOU >

Quilt Stores and YOU

Quilt Stores and YOU

Old 02-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Mine is Quilting Possibilities in Forked River NJ. They have a great collection of fabrics and the staff is great. I love the personel stuff. The owner called my house today because she was changing a class date from the 15to the 22. I hadn't even called her about it but I had gone to it a couple of time and she thought I would go tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Among my favorites:

Keepsake Quilting, Centre Harbor, NH (tax free & huge selection)
The Bunkhouse Quilt Shop, Lyndborough, NH
Quilted Threads, Henniker, NH
Knight's Quilt Shop, York, Maine
Cobblestone Quilts, Townsend, MA

I am also lucky to have 5 JoAnn Fabrics within a 50 mile radius (probably more than that if I stop to really think)
No more Hancock Fabrics around here. No other chains that I can think of.

Anita
Old 02-14-2014, 04:36 PM

When I lived in Tacoma I loved Hancock Fabrics. I wasn't into quilting then, but it was my preferred fabric store. Here in Wisconsin I enjoy Quilt Essentials in Oshkosh and there a few stores in Appleton that I really like. My favorite online stores are Thousand Bolts.com and Hancock's of Paducah.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Fabric Depot in Portland, OR. is my favorite, too. I don't get down that way too often, but I always stop there. It is humungous!! I order online from them all the time, including today. I also like Hollyhills in Clackamas, OR., in Portland. I shop online with them also.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I am very fortunate to live in a small country town surrounded by good fabric shops. Country Treasures, a jam packed quilt shop is only a mile from my house. Tons of great fabrics, pleasant, helpful owner and employees - nearly everything I need right nearby. About ten miles west of me is Water Wheel Quilts which has less fabric, but a bright, modern theme and again, great people. Ten miles south of me is Quilt-Away, another great shop with lots of batiks, novelties, and other fabrics. Good advice available there too, and quite a few good bargains. Ten miles to the east is Frank's, a discount fabric shop with a variety of upholstery, knits, quilt fabrics and notions all at reduced prices. Not far from there is Four Pines Quilts, a small shop in New Hampshire (no sales tax on anything). Good thread selections, some nice fabrics, notions, and more great advice from the owners, a mother and son team. WalMart in that town has some yardage. There are three JoAnn's around me, each about a 45 minute drive in different directions, two of which are in tax-free New Hampshire. So basically I'm in fabric heaven here.
Oh,Lynn, thanks for posting. Have been to a few of those but will have to hit the ones I haven't been to yet.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM

I'll add some other ones: Cottonweeds in Freeport, ME., Calico Basket in Windham, ME., Footprints Quilt Shop in Rochester, NH, Country Quilts and Bears in Clearwater, FL, Happy Apple Quilts in Oldsmar, FL...
Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM

i wish i was close enuf to big shops to go but my pocket book says im better off where i am! i am just under 30 miles to town, milk, and my lqs. i just have to go in and pet fabric and sneak a bit home here and there. i am also lucky enough she has published her first book and is working on a second and i have a fabulous mentor so close by i can talk to, glean advice from, and have a friendship with!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:50 AM

On this side of the country, in cold snowy mid-Michigan, I have two favorites and neither is really close. The first is Common Threads in a small town about 30 miles west of me and the other is the Bittersweet Quilt Shop in Pinconning Michigan. Common Threads is in the old downtown portion of St. Louis, the store front is over a hundred years old and small but packed with gorgeous fabrics, lots of fabulous small projects and the two owners offer lots of great classes and nice groups like the Jo Morton club I just joined. The Bittersweet is in a lovely old church and has a wonderful selection of amazing fabrics, projects, wools and antiques. Bittersweet is a bit farther, about 50 mile northeast of me but both are more than worth the trip.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:54 AM

Qbee Quilts in Charlotte is my most favorite in the area.
I live in a small town in SC, just across the state line from NC and this is the closest shop to me. Although there are some "fabric shop" nearer, Qbee is a true quilt shop. The ladies there are knowledgeable and the shop has all a quilter would need. Yep, my favorite; for many reasons.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 AM

This is like trying to answer who your favorite children are. I have so many quilt and fabric stores that I adore. We travel a lot and I always seek out the quilt stores wherever I go. I have some I like because they have a huge selection of 1930's reproduction fabric which I collect, others because they have the best projects and ideas and so on. What is missing around where I live is a good fabric store that carries a variety of different kinds of fabric and notions and such that are of good quality and have knowledgeable staff. The quality and service at JoAnn's doesn't measure up. I shop there for some things because there isn't an alternative. In SW Michigan there is Field's Fabrics which is wonderful and when I'm in that area I always stop. Yoder's in Shipshewanna IN is also a must go when I'm in that area. A couple quilt shops I've been in, Suwannee Valley in Trenton FL and Mammaw 's Thimble in Knoxville TN have spots for men to wait. The one in Mammaw's is called the "bored" room and it is for CEOs (carry everything out). TV, comfy couches, the works. I love the Cherry Pit in Sevierville TN because they are so friendly and accommodating there and they have such neat projects on display. Knowledgeable staff and having them glad that I am there goes a long way in my book.