Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray? >

Gray?

Gray?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:39 PM

I do like gray in a quilt, but, like you, I don't particularly like it in that quilt. Maybe it's the picture, not the gray.

I made a quilt for my 19 year old dgd for Christmas that used a dark charcoal gray blender as background, but there were only two fabric, both bright with a lot of black/gray sprinkled in them. It was perfect for the quilt, and my dgd loves it, but I don't see me making many quilts with a gray background.

After I typed that, I realized that I have a plan for a two fabric quilt that uses a light gray as sashing, but it's perfect for that quilt. So I guess I will be making another quilt with gray as a background!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Am I the only one not loving the gray craze? I just looked at the AQS winning trad. bed quilt http://www.thequiltshow.com/ and it has outstanding piecing and quilting BUT I am not loving the gray. A lot of the modern quilts have gray as a background and it reminds me of battleship gray, blech!
I just bought some gray plaid flannel to go with a girly pink/blue/gold/gray print. Love it adn I"m not a fan of gray
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay, so the dear friend's daughter was having a baby and chose not to find out the sex of the baby so I went with this and she loved it. And since we live in Ohio and Ohio State University has "Scarlet and Grey" - every quilt that the DH wants is grey with red and white.
Very pretty
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the darker greys. I think many of them look like washed out black.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Not loving the grey just saw a fq set from Moda, reds and grays. ok I love red and white and red and black combos but gray? ugh.. it reminds me of laundry in the day when you washed new jeans with something white on accident and how your clothes came out.. grayish? ugh. I have yet to purchase any.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 AM

My father was red/green colorblind. He would bring home a new vehicle and tell us it was so pretty, color just beautiful. When the sun came up.......it was gray. I think it was the only color that didn't hurt his eyes.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:24 AM

A very long time ago when I was a little girl my mother painted our living room and dining room pink with gray trim. It looked flat and not very interesting-but obviously remembered. I am making a baby quilt for a girl to be born in May-pink and gray. I did toss in some white and lots of dots-gray fabric with white dots and pink fabric with irregular dots. I is going to be better than I first thought-in fact I like it. As for the quilt in question, I think it is very modern and innovative. It certainly showcases the quilting. I think the use of gray stands up to the bright and pure colors of the design. I see lots of things that I would never put together but try to see the beauty through someone else's vision.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 AM

Until recently I didn't realize there were so many different shades of grey. A friend of mine is having a baby and her colors are aqua, yellow and.............................grey. I didn't have enough of the grey she liked in my stash so went out looking for another one to add to it as this one is no longer available (yes, I've checked). I found one I thought would look okay until I got it home and it had a green cast to it. Didn't look greenish at the store so I'm wondering about their lighting compared to what I have over my cutting table? Anyway, came up with another alternative from my stash so the one I bought will just be put into the stash. Connecting Threads is always having a sale on something and I just received their magazine for March. Went online as they were advertising variegated quilting threads which I have a few of from long ago and wanted to add to them. Didn't read on the magazine it was for March though so couldn't find them but found lots of fabrics on sale and have a bunch in greys, aqua and yellows as I found I had very few in my stash. So much for not buying fabric this year.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 AM

I like gray, but not that particular "dead" gray. That quilt is a " bust" in my book.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 AM

grey seems to be the new color for curtains and drapes also, several different shades