Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Eleanor Burns book should I buy? >

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Eleanor has quite a story of how she began publishing books and also how she came to simplify patterns with strip quilting. Once you try Eleanor's way, you might wonder why you tried any other way. I began with her Log Cabin way back in the mid-80's. I was used to the way my great-grandmother and grandmother made quilts. That would never work for me, so Quilt in a DAY...more my style. The Log Cabin is my favorite. Irish Chain is another of her early books that is a quick pattern. I did her braid quilt and it was easy-peasy! My husband was in the kitchen last night and he chimed in with "I hear Eleanor...are you on You Tube?" Yep. She and Jenny Doan make quilting fun! IMHO

Yes they do!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 PM

I allways tell the newbies to check out her website and her books are at every quilt shop and even walmart has some if the carry fabric, cmaras
Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 PM

I have her Irish Chain book and her Trip around the World book and both have several ideas and all sizes so you can start small and easy, and work your way up to larger quilts or more artful examples of her quilts. I have tried all but the Triple Irish chain and it is on my bucket list for this year. Thanks to all I have learned from her books, I can now confidently design my own quilts. I love her " get rid of it" line, she entertains me whenever I get to see her videos. My latest purchase is "Orion's Star" book and video. If I finish all my current projects this year I will make one of them, if not, next year for sure.
go to Youtube and search for quilt videos, and you will find wonderful teachers, American as well as European teachers. I have never had the disposable income to pay for a class, but between Eleanor, and Youtube, I do pretty well.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 AM

Her garden trellis book is fantastic. Well, all her books are. My other favorite is the Tennessee Waltz, I have made 10 of these quilts.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:23 AM

I learned most of what I know from her. I just got the Egg Money book. I want to do the DWR. I have made several log cabins and trips around the world using her books. Eleanor is a great teacher!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:41 AM

I have several of Eleanor Burns' books and I really like them. The Christmas stocking pattern (think it's Quilts Through the Seasons book) is great. You can make so many different stockings. Also I've had the pleasure of meeting Eleanor and she is a great down to earth person. Her sister Pat is quite an artist too. Pat makes regular visits in the spring and summer at various guild meetings.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM

I accidentally found EB on my PBS station many years ago while browsing channels. I stopped on that channel, watched, fell in love with her and her methods and was hooked for life. I bought her log cabin book at a quilt shop in a town next to mine, got help selecting fabrics by a lovely lady just shopping there also, I looked a little confused, I think, and was wondering around, the rest is history. Eleanor got inducted into "The Quilters Hall of Fame" last year, which was well deserved. If you don't know the history of how she got started in this industry you should look that up, very interesting and courages. She has been my inspiration over the years, lovely lady, great teacher!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by CMARAS1234 View Post
I allways tell the newbies to check out her website and her books are at every quilt shop and even walmart has some if the carry fabric, cmaras
And tonight I was Googled Walmart's batting and noticed a lot of Eleanor's rulers were there. :-) Like the triangle ruler and the 12 1/2' square up. No, I'm not related! Just like her methods. Oh, she did graduate from the same college, but a couple of years ahead of me.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM

I bought her SunBonnet Sue book. My daughters wanted me to make them one. The instructions are great.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM

I started out quilting in the 1980's with her Trip Around The World book. I made one for my daughter who is now 31 yrs. old. When I visited my daughter this Christmas she showed me that quilt. I did not know that she still had it! I cannot understand other strip-piecing directions. I have many of her books. My daughter has followed in my footsteps with quilting also & has made the Lover's Knot quilt several times for friends.
I would love to meet Eleanor someday. She truly has started many of us on our quilting dreams.