Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM

pippa, that round of friendship stars looks great. The center still just POPS"
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Here's what I have. Can't take any off so I will be adding a strip. Thanks for your help hope and jabba. I plan to do the chevron border.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	462742  

Last edited by Pam H; 02-16-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Pam, I also had to add a strip to mine and it worked out great. The strip will set off your last border, which I love.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM

This is like visiting a quilt show every day. I love seeing what all you are doing for each new round. Perhaps I can join in on one that would start in the fall. Will take me til then to catch up with other projects.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Love them all. Great job everyone.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 AM

I am also having trouble, It looks like I have the same block as Pam H . I tried to add the friendship star and they didn't fit. My piece now measures 32 1/2. I guess I need to add a strip to make it work. Maybe I am just not ready for this type of bom.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:29 AM

Linbails: Don't be discouraged! Post your block size and we will tell you how much you need to add to make it fit.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 AM

Remember ladies on my last posting, #786, I said it was an odd round. You can either add a strip or you can add a fill block in the center of each side and across the top and bottom. You have to make up for the 2" somewhere on your border. As in the picture I posted, I used the fill block but you can add a strip instead if you wish. Don't give up now, this is the way that all of us learn. You'll be able to look at any pattern and instead of adding just those strips to final borders think of how your quilts will look with braids around it or stars or......it will be different than anyone else's and not like the picture in the book. All of us are here to help
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 AM

thanks Jan!

I have to share something with you that was such a big mistake on my part and hopefully save one of you the heartbreak of making the same mistake. I used red scraps lots of them in my last round. I have started on another quilt while working between this and was going to use lots of red and white. I pulled yardage this time from my shelf and for some random reason I remembered.. red and white might bleed so test the fabrics thinking I had washed all of them before shelving them with my other fabrics (I rarely wash my fabrics first liking to work with the sizing that is in it for crisper lines). sure enough out of five fabrics . one bleed. I was so not happy. DH washed laundry for me threw in two color catchers and sure enough they came out dark pink. So he threw in another color catcher in the dryer.. also came out pink. I tested each fabric again and the one culprit still was bleeding. ARGH. ok wont use that one easy enough.. then it came to me. I had used small scraps of that red in my round here. I now have to go in and remove those blocks which will be a royal pain in the rear since I have already added my round for March. LESSON: TEST YOUR FABRICS to make sure they wont bleed. I never test scraps and now look at what I have to do to fix this. ugh ten times over. How to feel pretty stupid pretty darned quick. No wonder what today will hold for me .. rip rip rip and its hard btw to go into a quilt without removing a round .. that is work so pay attention to your quilt work!!!

on a good note I have march done so best be whipping on this round ladies. Whether you chose our rounds or a strip round to mellow it out (has to be done every so often on a busy quilt top) pick up your project give it a good look and well.. start cutting and sewing. I don't want to lose a single one of you! going to have to get Yosamitesa to come and cheerlead for us.. she was one many moons ago and has the shish boom ba thing down pat. She even dances on tables to get you going so if you want a show I will call her over otherwise.. SEW ladies SEW! you can do it imagine how fun it will be to have a finished top ready for quilting.. one you have never made before and will be all your own. TADA!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM

Elizabrat THANKS so much for the reminder about bleeding reds. I ordered some red fabric and put it in the project bin that I bought it for without remembering to wash it first. You have saved me a lot of sadness and hard work with your reminder. ....

As for my medallion quilt I added a strip of green and I have so very much ruffling. I'm not sure what I did when piecing the previous round. But I can see that its only getting worse. Instead of fighting a losing battle with it. Im going to add a wide stripe of burgandy fabric and finish it as a small wall hanging. Will make a new center and before the end of the month will catch back up with where we are in number of rounds.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462900[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]462901[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bucklingquilt2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	462900   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucklingquilt.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	462901