Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Elisabrat: I am having problems with red fabric too: I still really like this project, I am not ready to give up yet. I have heard a lot about retayne and also the use of salt and/or vinegar. Time to experiment. If anyone has any experience I would appreciate your input. Jenniky: I don't know whether this will work, but it has for me in the past. Measure across the center, then cut your border exactly that size. Pin the ends to each side and work any fullness into the distance between. This does not cause ballooning but it brings the effects of bias stretching back into line. Even if you choose to complete your project and start a new one, this method will make your wall hanging lie flat.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Jenniky, did you measure across the middle of you medallion and use that measurement for your strips? If you just cut strips & sewed them on then cut at the ends, you probably stretched those strips when sewing hence you ended up with wavy borders.
Also measure across both ends to make sure they are the same measurement as across the center.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 AM

MamaHen: Great minds and all that. Before I started to use this method I didn't always have problems but once it happens you'll never do it any other way.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 AM

You just reminded me about the vinegar Emma, had forgotten that. It does work to set color, used it all the time when I was sewing clothing.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM

Ok here is my block , it measures 32 1/2 by 32 3/4 .. I was making the star blocks that Jaba showed us, but they didn't fit . so how much bigger do I need to make it to use the star blocks…. I figure it needs to be 36 and 1/2 in for seams ..Is that right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-19.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	462916  
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 AM

Yup, you're right. Want to see it when you're done.....love it so far
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Linbails: It would be a real shame not finish that, its great. Kind of odd that you ended with slightly different measurements but I don't think the eye will be able to detect that 1/8th inch difference on two of the borders. Pick a color that you will like as a "frame" to what you've done so far. You will want to add two inches on each side, you can always trim so that it is a 36.5 inch square. Remember the seam allowances. The border piece should measure 2.5 inches, this will give you a total finish amount of 2 inches on those sides hence 36.5 inches after you trim the block to square.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one to about shuck this! For some reason, my mind is NOT wrapping around how to figure things. My block is at 36", do I need to either cut the red border down, or do something else? I wanted to do the zig zag border but for life of me, ain't happenin'!! I really do like how it looks so far, but-----I'm sure one of you has a solution to this. It's on my design wall, just hangin' around...

Here are pcs I have to work with, and the block so far. TIA....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462929[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]462930[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_0680 (640x480).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	462929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692 (640x480).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	462930  
Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 AM

That is looking great Oksewnsew, but when it comes to the math stuff, I'm as stumped as you are. I'm in the same predicament as you because mine right now is at 42 1/2, I'm looking at putting a border strip on right now to break up my last border & the next one, I'm looking at 6 1/2" blocks for that next pieced border and can't really figure out what size strips I need to add so that it will come out even. So if anyone else out there is good at math & can help me cypher I'd really appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Opinions Please! I'm working on this medallion mostly from my stash. I would like to use more of the center fabric but only have small pieces which I'm going to try & incorporate into the next pieced border. But I need to break up the last border & the next one with a strip, found this in my stash & all the colors are there, but is it dramatic enough to help divide the space? It is beautiful fabric and might make a beautiful binding and pieces in another border, but, but, looking at the picture I'm now no so sure it is right for this addition.

Name:	border idea.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	462939